Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2003, 5:14 PM   #1

Default Looking for a DSC with a built in Compass.

:?:
Looking for a DSC with a built in Compass.

I take lots of construction site photos where it would be VERY helpful to have the facing direction superimposed on the pix.
Does anyone make such a camera, or am I just dreaming?

Any suggestions for other ways to accomplish easy logging of about 100 photos per site would be appreciated.

Is there any program that allows the bulk renaming of JPG files?
Speed and ease of operation are the keys here. One pix at a time is for the birds.

Woody
woo36060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 5:38 PM   #2
Administrator

I've seen GPS add-ons for some cameras, but not a compass (which doesn't mean that nobody makes one -- I just haven't seen it).

If you bought one of the older model Kodak Cameras using the Digita Operating System, you could probably figure out a way to interface an electronic compass (perhaps passing the data via the serial port to the camera, then embedding it somewhere associated with the photo).

I've still got some of the Kodak Developer Kit libraries for these cameras. If you've got a development background, it may be worth looking into (but I suspect that the market for such a feature would be too limited, especially given that these cameras are not longer being sold, so you may not be able to recoup your time developing the interface).

Another option may be to simply use a camera's voice record feature to note the direction you are facing. Many cameras allow you to attach voice annotations to your photos.

As far as bulk renaming of files, from what to what?

Even the old DOS rename command has some funcionality using wildcards here:

For example: rename DSCN????.jpg 0905????.jpg

This would change the first 4 characters of all files beginning with DSCN to 0905, while leaving the last 4 characters alone.

For example: DSCN0001.jpg and DSCN0002.jpg would become 09050001.jpg and 09050002.jpg

Of course, this does have some limitations (8 character files names only supported).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:41 PM   #3

Default Re: Looking for a DSC with a built in Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo36060
Is there any program that allows the bulk renaming of JPG files?
Try "CKRename" from http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/index.htm. You get a preview of what the filenames are about to be changed to, which helps avoid accidents.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:33 PM   #4

Irfanview does batch renaming, and it's FREE!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Irfanview does batch renaming, and it's FREE!
Yes, I should have remembered that I've used that too. Sadly my brainpower isn't up to guessing accurately what result I'll get with a massive renaming job, so I like the preview of CKRename, which is also freeware.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:58 AM   #6

Default Re: Looking for a DSC with a built in Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo36060
:?:
Any suggestions for other ways to accomplish easy logging of about 100 photos per site would be appreciated.
Don't know what camera you have in mind, but my Casio QV-5700 conveniently numbers its images "MMDDnnnn.jpg", and further puts each day's images in folders named "NNN_MMDD". I imagine other recent cameras do the same, and a naming protocol like this will do a lot of the work for you. It has several different 'browser' options, which I usually have turned off, but which save other bits of information when output, so they might be useful too.

To my delight, when I changed the memory card during a day's shooting, it started a new & differently named folder on the new card, and helpfully remembered what frame number it had got up to. I'd feared duplicate filenames, but there weren't any.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 10:27 AM   #7
Administrator

A few years ago, I considered writing an application to use speech to text conversion for special purposes -- even downloading many of the development libraries available.

My thoughts were to take the .wav files some cameras allow you to attach to a photo (usually with the same numbering system as the photos), and convert the speech to a text entries that I could keep with the photos in the records associated with each customer.

At the time, I had a friend that I had developed a software package for. He is in the Window Cleaning Business. The software he is using was written by me, and keeps track of incoming calls, schedules, estimates, invoices, etc. He has multiple vehicles with crews that actually perform the work, with he and his wife doing the estimates.

The idea was that he could take photos of the windows in a home, along with a short voice annotation. Then, I'd simply read the photos with the voice annotations, converting the speech to text, so that he would have comments associated with the photos for estimating purposes, without the time associated with listening to the annotations.

But, I never got around to actually adding this feature to the software.

However, something like this would be possible, and allow you to use the voice annotation feature of a camera, to add information like compass position, etc., to your construction photos.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has taken the time to try and develop something like this (although with the improvements in speech to text development libraries, it wouldn't be that hard to develop -- with a very high accuracy rate for the converted speech.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:38 AM   #8

This might also work, after you take the picture snap a photo of compass with a mark were your lense was aimed. You might need a tripod with the compass mounted.

Kodak makes/made indeed cameras with GPS suppor. My Fuji Finepixviewer shows a special GPS tab for such cameras with data like longnitude, latitude and altitude. Some GPS systems also have a electronic compass.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote