Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Can my old SLR lenses work on a Digital SLR?

I have a regular non digital SLR, namely the NIKON N70D. I purchased two lenses with it; Nikon - 28mm f/2.8D AF Nikkor Lens (wide angle) & a Nikon - 60MM F2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Lens (macro).

I am shifting to Digital now, but I am in no way a pro photographer, not even an expert. I am planning on getting a P' & S' digital camera with manual control, like the S45.

Anyway, my question is: can i use my 2 previous lenses on a Digital SLR or not, and if yes, must it be a Nikon?

Cant i get a prosumer like the G5 or the digital rebel, or do they have their own lenses??

Thanks!!
oymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Only the dSLR type cameras have removable lenses. The G5 uses a permanently attached lens.

For your existing lenses, you'd have to use a dSLR based on a Nikon body. For the most part, you would be limited to Nikon dSLR's (although some other models like the Fuji S2 Pro are also based on Nikon bodies).

The Canon Digital Rebel uses Canon's EF mount lenses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 8:56 PM   #3

Default Re: Can my old SLR lenses work on a Digital SLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oymd
I have a regular non digital SLR, namely the NIKON N70D. I purchased two lenses with it; Nikon - 28mm f/2.8D AF Nikkor Lens (wide angle) & a Nikon - 60MM F2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Lens (macro).
If you buy Nikon's D-SLR, you will be able to use them. In fact, your AFD 28 F2.8 and AFD 60 F2.8 are very good lenses, especially the latter. Following Canon's step in releasing 300D, Nikon may have an equivalent coming soon.

Quote:
I am shifting to Digital now, but I am in no way a pro photographer, not even an expert. I am planning on getting a P' & S' digital camera with manual control, like the S45. Anyway, my question is: can i use my 2 previous lenses on a Digital SLR or not, and if yes, must it be a Nikon?
In general, your good SLR lenses cannot be used on the S45. I am not sure if the S45 has a filter thread or an adapter for using filters. If it does have such a thread or adapter, you could use your SLR lens for macro purpose. If the longest focal length of your P&S is x mm (the one marked on the lens rather than its 35mm equivalent), then your 28mm and 60mm, when they are reverse-mounted on the P&S, the magnifications are x/28 and x/60, respectively. For example, if the longest focal length of your P&S is 70mm, then reversely mounting 28mm and 60mm yields magnifications 70/28 = 2.5X and 1.2X, respectively. However, vignetting may occur.

You can experiment this with your 60mm and 28mm. FIRST, mount the 60mm on your N70D. SECOND, hand hold the 28mm, reverse it and attach to the 60mm. Since the 60mm has a thread size of 62mm and the 28mm has (perhaps) 52mm, you could jam the 28mm into the opening of the 60mm. THIRD, use F2.8 on your 28mm and hold there. FOURTH, find something small and get close and focus. Well, you may move the camera rather than allowing the AF system to it. In this case, set both lenses to their minimum focus distance. Now you have a magnification of 60/28=2.1X magnification.

Quote:
Cant i get a prosumer like the G5 or the digital rebel, or do they have their own lenses??
None of the consumer-level digital cameras can change lenses, the G5 included. However, as mentioned above, with proper equipment, you might be able to reverse mount a shorter focal length SLR lens for high magnification close-up. Take a look at the "It All Starts with Thread Size and Rings" page of the "Filters" section, and the "TC-E2 for Close-Up" page in the "Odd Stuffs" section of my Coolpix 4500 User Guide for the details.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:03 AM   #4

thanks for all the replies...

I know that i probably cant use my 2 lenses on the S45......but WOW!!!!!!!!!!.....I never thought that I can use my existing lenses on digital SLRs.

So what are my options if i was to buy a Digital SLR to go with the lenses??

Must it be the NIKON D100?? :roll: Its for ~ $1500 :shock:

Isnt there some cheaper solution?? Even if not NIKON??

Thanks again
Old Sep 6, 2003, 12:01 PM   #5
Administrator

I doubt you'll find a solution that's much cheaper right now, but you could search for a used, lower resolution dSLR camera based on a Nikon Body too -- for example, the Nikon 2.7 Megapixel Nikon D1.

I see some on Ebay right now -- with the bids at around $1,000.00 -- depending on extras. Ditto for completed sales -- around $875.00 and up, depending on extras -- with the average price at around a grand.

Fuji and Kodak also used Nikon bodies for many of their cameras, but these probably won't save you anything over a new D100, unless you go with a much older (and lower resolution) model.

You may want to check out Steve's list of dSLR's at this link, to see which ones can take your Nikon Lenses -- then compare features, resolution, etc., to decide if a used one may be an option:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html

Hopefully, the competition in the industry (especially given the "ground breaking" price point on Canon's new EOS-300D) will help stimulate lower priced dSLR's from Nikon and others that may be able to take your lenses in the future, at a much lower entry price for the camera body.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply man.....

Hey..arent you jim cockfield....i've read about your trouble with the P10 on dpreview and megapixel.net.....and how you preferred the Konica......

you know...I was a feww hours away from buying the P10 when I read your review.... :shock:

lol.now i dont know what point and shoot to get.....I love the S400 but hate its Video.....

Guess i'll wait and see how the Fugi F700 turns out :roll:
Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:16 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes -- that's me -- Jim Cockfield

I tend to be more critical than most camera owners though, so take this into consideration when reading my opinions.

As for video from a digital still camera, I have no use for it. Even the 16fps 640x480 video on the Sonys is too choppy for me, and the sound quality from the tiny microphones in still cameras is awful (IMO).

Video modes also eat up way too much space on memory cards for my liking.

But, many users love their video.

Yep -- some cameras (like the new F700) have 30 fps Video at 640x480. But, you still don't have a stablized lens (like in many "real" video cameras), and it's going to eat up a lot of space on your memory cards. You also don't get the nice stereo sound you'd get with a video camera.

But, I'll admit that it's convenient to have this mode in a small camera for many users, so they use it. It's just not for me.

P.S. -- I must be spending WAY too much time on the forums, when users start to recognize my posts from other forum sites -- even though my username is different here. :lol:

I've been "under the weather" for quite a while now with a health problem that we've finally identified (a very rare, right sided, paraduodenal hernia). I've got surgery scheduled for Monday Morning, with a team of doctors at Emory University Hospital fixing the problem. So, once I'm "fixed", I probably won't be hanging around as much.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:47 PM   #8

Nikon, Fuji S1, S2 and many of the Kodak pro bodies take the Nikon lenses.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I've been "under the weather" for quite a while now with a health problem that we've finally identified (a very rare, right sided, paraduodenal hernia). I've got surgery scheduled for Monday Morning, with a team of doctors at Emory University Hospital fixing the problem. So, once I'm "fixed", I probably won't be hanging around as much.
Good luck man....hope u get better