Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:19 AM   #1

I looked at them 2-3 years ago but ultimately didn't purchase one because the inexpensive ones were poor quality and the good ones were just TOO expensive. I've noticed that the prices have come down considerably; however, I haven't kept up with them. I'd like links to professional reviews or your personal review if you've purchased a digital frame. Thanks.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:39 PM   #2

bump
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:46 AM   #3

I've purchased a couple of them. My sense of what counts between them is pretty limited: First, you want at least 800x600 pixels on something that is 8" or less. Larger than that I haven't explored. And second, you want the same aspect ratio as your actual camera produces -- a lot of them are set up for dSLR format (16:9?), while most P&S cameras are normally 4:3. It just looks stupid to have all your photos failing to fill the screen. Other than these things, I haven't really noticed much difference between brands. Of course, you want them to take whatever your digital storage medium is. I have never used the internal memory on them, so I don't pay any attention to the size of that -- it's nice to be able to just pop your card into the frame to show your most recent shots, but I am not the sort who's going to connect my frame to my computer via a USB port and download stuff into it. Of course, YMMV.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:52 AM   #4

bump
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:49 AM   #5

Idon't know that bumping your post is going to get you the answers you're looking for. I've looked at digital picture frames, but quite honestly, printing you're pictures is still very cheap and you can get excellent results. Printing and then buying a frame is still alot cheaper than one of the digital picture frames, and you don't have any of the issues of downloading, storing, buying memory, batteries or positiioning near an outlet.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:04 AM   #6
Administrator

I haven't bought any yet.

But, the idea is tempting. For example, I've got lots of photos of great nieces and nephews and more that I could select some for use with one of these digital frames and give it as a present.

I've heard good things about the Phillips frames compared to others from people that have tried more than one brand. But, I don't recall why some users like them better.

The prices look to be a bit steep though:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPP-digita..._picture_frame

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:39 PM   #7

We bought a Coby DP-882 digital frame when we were on holiday in Florida in March, and two relatives subsequently bought one. Resolution is 800 x 600 and the device reads SD, CF, MS-Pro, XD plus a flash drive. It handles JPEG, MP3 and video but I haven't tried the video. Slide show options are good with lots of transitions and music background, but it is difficult to control the slide order. At present Amazon are selling at around $120 and there are lots of reviews. Not all reviews are for the same model and talk about re-sizing - there's no need with this model. There are bigger frames but resolution may not be so good.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 4:52 AM   #8

Thanks, JimC. The prices of the Phillips frames seem pretty reasonable considering what digital frames were selling for just a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 4:56 AM   #9

Thanks, 1eyedeer. I'll check out the Coby digital frame.