Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:43 AM   #1

Hello,

When the SD630 came out, I read all the reviews, including Steve's and all were saying it was one of the best click and shoot cameras. So I bought the camera.

Well, I guess I'm not agreeing with all the reviews anymore.

I need help with my Canon SD630. BTW, It is the same camera as the SD600 (but with a 3" LCD Screen).

I have trouble focusing on anything when I'm not in the Automatic flash mode. It gives me a red camera shaking icon on the lower left hand corner (plus the orange circular light flashes continuously).

Sometimes i don't want the flashto work (or disable the flash)cause the flash engulfs the picture and makes things more white than I want to.

I've messed with the ISO setting or even the preset exposure mode (ie, Portrait, Night Snapshot,Kids & Pets, Indoor, Foliage) and I still snap a blurred picture.

Please help me with my shaky camera issue.

thanks,

Chilliewil
chilliewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2

its because you are shooting in poor light, this means slow shutter speed which means more chance for you moving

post a sample pic so we can have a look at the exif data to see what speed it was shot at

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:18 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. Once I get home from work, i will post s picture. But I also set the ISO to automatic too...and that doesn't work also. But I will post as soon as I get home from work.

thanks,

Chilliewil
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:23 PM   #4

"...all were saying it was one of the best click and shoot cameras."

I don't remember seeing a single professional review that referred to the SD630 as one of the best. Even if Steve had, it would have been in the category of subcompact P&S, not one of the best "click and shoot cameras". There's no way the SD series can compete with its larger cousins in the image quality arena (IMHO).

If you're getting a shake warning, you don't have enough light present for the given shutter speed/aperture/ISO combination selected. Either use a tripod, or use the flash.

" I have trouble focusing on anything when I'm not in the Automatic flash mode."

Not being able to focus and too slow a shutter speed are two separate things. Is your Af assist beam turned off?

Regarding the flash making things too white, it could be because you are too close to your subject, or the background is very dark, forcing the flash to operate at maximum when it really isn't necessary. Try locking your flash exposure setting and/or experimenting with exposure compensation.

I agree with Reanimator - post a couple of pics, and let's see where the problems lie.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:41 PM   #5

Here is an example of one with flash and one without. I actually wanted to take the one without the flash (to make the background look more natural) vs the one with the flash (that lightens the people but the background darkens).
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:43 PM   #6

Here is the one with flash. thanks again for all of your input. It really helps me out in becoming a better photographer.

thanks
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:45 AM   #7

wil,

If you look at the EXIF data for those two pics, you'll notice that the non-flash shot was taken at 1/8 second exposure - not anywhere near fast enough to freeze subject motion (man walking). You'll also notice that the background is perfectly exposed (nice colors, etc.), however, the people are not. That's because you have your camera set on 'pattern' metering, which takes the average light value in the camera's view to determine exposure. Try changing to 'spot' metering, and locking the exposure on one of your targets before composing your picture. In the flash pic, your subjects are a little overexposed, probably because your flash is trying to light up the entire scene, due to the metering setting. Also, it was taken at 1/60 second, which would only be able to freeze a slow walk.

I'm not so sure any P&S camera would take an acceptable picture in those conditions. Your camera is just doing what most, if not all ultra-compacts will do in similar conditions. Your flash only has a maximum range of about 14 feet, which isn't powerful enough to illuminate the entire set in your pics.

If you can, try raising the ISO a bit when taking shots in low light conditions.

the Hun
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:12 PM   #8

rinniethehun,

thanks for your input. But unfortunately I don't know how to change the metering setting from pattern to spot. I will have to investigate.

thanks again...this will definitely help me out (once I can figure out the Metering setting).

take care.

Wil
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:57 PM   #9

yup just down to slow shutter speed

there is not much you can really do about shooting a moving object in very low light like that

with higher spec cams u can up your iso what will give camera higher speeds but then images become far too grainy

you need more light pure and simple, nothing wrong with the cam

just to clear up something u mentioned, when you use flash it runs camera shutter speed faster because the light from flash is bright enough to do so,.........the dark dackground is purely because the speed is too fast and not enough light is entering the camera

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:55 PM   #10

Wil,

If you refer to the SD630 Advanced User Guide, pages 46 through 51, you will find details on how to change camera settings. Page 50 deals with the metering settings. Page 64 tells you how to change your ISO settings.

Try experimenting with all of the different combinations in all different conditions to see which combination works best. Change one variable at a time, until you learn what they can do for you. Note: Do this before your next important event!

Good luck.

the Hun