Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:01 PM   #1

i currently have a sony cybershot dsc-w90, i tried a t 70 briefly. before these i had a sony cybershot dsc w 70. the 70 took awesome pictures even inside. had trouble with the t model so i tried the w 90. my pics taken inside are not clear. is there to much resolution. ???? any help would be great.

smickelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:20 PM   #2

All of the manufacturers are getting caught up in the megapixel race, and unfortunately, image quality is suffering. I'm not so sure in your case, that one more MP is killing your pics...why don't you post a couple, so we can see what you mean by "not clear".

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:32 PM   #3

heres a old pic
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:33 PM   #4

heres a new pic
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:57 PM   #5

That was easy...pic #1 was taken at ISO 100. Pic #2 was taken at ISO 400 - lots of noise. It also looks slightly out of focus, and add to that a little bit of blur due to the 1/40 second exposure time, and voila - a 'could have been better' picture.

Looks like everything was set on Auto, which could mean that the W90 jacks up the ISO for flash shots. I don't think either cam has aperture or shutter priority modes, but check your manual and see if you can force a lower ISO. I think the cam is capable of much cleaner pics than the one you posted.

the Hun

Old Dec 19, 2007, 4:43 PM   #6

To the Hun regarding your response: How did you find the ISO, and shutter speed for these pictures?

And related to that--- is it possible to retreive more info regarding camera settings? I'm using a S8000FD and would like to be able to determine all settings used for a particular shot including mode, qulaity setting, zoom, photometry, face detection, shake, etc. As you know ,a given shot can have multiple settings and I'd like to see the settings to make adjustments in shooting conditions to improve my photography.

Perhaps thois is best placed in the wish list for future generations!
coloradoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 5:18 PM   #7

I use a program called Opanda IEXIF. You can get it here:

http://www.opanda.com/en/pe/index.html

It's free, and works with just about every Windows OS, including Vista. It will tell you just about everything the camera was set to at the time the picture was taken, including when the picture was taken. ISO, shutter, aperture, shake warnings, focus warnings, etc. Note: some software programs strip all of at least some of the EXIF data from pics. I use Irfanview to re-size, etc., which leaves the EXIF intact. You can get that here:

http://www.irfanview.net/

It's also free and works with most Windows OS.

Have fun.

the Hun

Old Dec 19, 2007, 6:59 PM   #8

Thanks. I installed Opanda and went to the Flickr site where I have some pictures posted and when I tried to use opanda(by R clicking on the image)a window appeared that said there was "no Exif information in the image". Am I misssing something?

Is this software only used for pictures that are posted on a website? I tried to use it by R clicking on a picture in my FinePix viewer but could not see how toapply opanda?

Here is a link to my pictures on the Flickr site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2192174...7603493340142/

Colorado Ice
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:00 PM   #9

Unfortunately, when you post pictures to a host site like flickr, they usually strip the EXIF data from the pics...don't know why. To use it on pictures posted to this site, you must first save the picture to your computer (like to your desktop, so you can find it easily). Then you can right click and select IExif.

I think FinePix Viewer limits the choices you have with a right click. You can open IExif manually, click on 'Open', then browse for the pic you want to view.

the Hun

Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:04 PM   #10

Thanks, I figured out how to get it to view the Exif data on my computer. Impressive. One question though. How do you figure out the "zoom" setting?

Colorado Ice