Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2003, 3:40 PM   #11

All good points, though a bit of elaboration on this bit would be good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
... look at as many photos as you can find from a camera you are considering ...
Keep in mind that the picture will be much influenced by the choice of settings such as saturation, contrast, ISO, .... Reviewers will almost always use the camera's default settings (what else can they do?), but the defaults are not the same for all cameras, e.g., what one camera uses as their default saturation might be equivalent to +1 on another. It is somewhat like trying to compare two chemical cameras while using different film (and processing) in them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 3:49 PM   #12
Administrator

I was probably a little too harsh with my comments.

Every camera is going to have certain strengths and weaknesses, and the Oly C-4000z does offer a lot of "bang for the buck".

It's also a very flexible camera, with lots of available adjustments for image processing.

If the problem the user is having with his landscape photos is occuring at wider apertures, then this could most likely be avoided by using the Camera's Aperture Priority Mode.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 4:04 PM   #13

Thanks for all the recommendations submitted hitherto.

Referring to the particular items:

My problem concerns only the objects and horizons at "infinite" distance. Ther is no problem
with people, architecture, flowers, moving vehicles etc.

There is almost no difference between sharpness using aperture priority or automatical mode.
In the same way, there is no difference between using manual focusing or automatical focusing
on object at infinite" distance.

I use tripode everywhere and always it is possible.

Using proper SW: I am quite familiar with Corel. Most images were applicable after being
treated in Corel Photoshop.

After having watched at the quoted pictures, it seems to me that my ones are usually better.
I am sorry, I´ve got no acces to URL this time. I can only send some images to an e-mail box.

Maybe the main problem was this summer´s weather. Most snaps were taken at sharp sunlight
and temperature above 30°C (85°F). Probably the trembling hot air could influence the
sharpness of horizons.

Anyway, can one conclude generally that camera type X is better for this purpose than
camera type Y?

hank
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:22 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
Anyway, can one conclude generally that camera type X is better for this purpose than
camera type Y?

hank
Unless photos with two different cameras, were taken of the same subject, in the same conditions, there is no way to make a definite conclusion.

However, it does appear that the lens on the Oly C-4000z has more Chromatic Aberrations at wider apertures than many other camera models. Reviewers have also noticed the CA problem with this camera.

Also, from my viewing of photo albums from this camera, it appears that the lens lacks sharpness at wider apertures too (although, admitedly, this is not a scientific conclusion, for the same reasons quoted above -- you'd have to see photos from two different cameras, taken under the same conditions).

My suggestion would be to use a smaller aperture (higher F Stop Number) whenever possible with the available Aperture Priority Mode. It appears that the lens is sharper at around F5.6. You may also want to try coming off the widest focal length (use a little bit of zoom). Most lenses are less sharp at one extreme or the other in their focal range.

These suggestions would also apply to other camera models.

Whether or not your landscape photo problems could have been caused by other factors is unknown.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote