Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:24 PM   #1

I have about 10K hi-res digital photos now. I'm looking for the way of viewing them on a hi-res digital TV. Like a 35 mm slide show in the old days.

I'd like to be able to burn the photos and maybe some voice & titles on a DVD and sit back and watch the show with friends or captives. Maybe even use jpg's for more images on a disk.

I'm thinking something like a 42" LCD 1080p TV - this has the highest native resolution of 1920x1080

There are some HDMI products - TV's with an HDMI port. I see they make HDMI DVD players and still cameras as well.

What setup would I need and any recommendations for items that don't have analog conversions in the process.

Thanks
JT23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:12 PM   #2

DVD Players, even Progressive Scan DVD players, don't do 1920x1080, so probably the best solution would be an HDDVD or Blu-Ray DVD Player.

You would probably be better off reducing your images to1920x1080 before you burn them to the disk(s). If you have larger images, the DVD Player reduces them anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:10 PM   #3

Either that, or get a camera with an HDMI output.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4

Get a camera with HDMI - how does that help with the 10K existing photos -I don't see the connection?
JT23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5

JT23456 wrote:
Quote:
Get a camera with HDMI - how does that help with the 10K existing photos -I don't see the connection?
No. That would probably not help with your existing photos. Sorry.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 2:26 PM   #6

JT23456 wrote:
Quote:
...There are some HDMI products - TV's with an HDMI port...
I've been wanting to do hi-res TV slide shows for a long time, like you. Inspired by your query, I took a quick look (at UK sites) and found avery confusing mess of HDDVD and Blu-rayreaders & writers, many of which read HD but don't write it, and all at high prices. So I hope someone can point us at good information somewhere. It rather looked to me as though one would have to invest in a separate writer for the PC and reader/player for the TV.

However, I haveanother suggestion. I've just bought an LCD HD TV for my son, and it has a monitor socket for direct connection to a PC. However, this one is only a bedroom sized TV/monitor, about the same size (10 inches high) as myPC monitor, so it will offer no advantage other than beingin a bigger room so the family wouldn't have to squeeze around the computer in its tiny room. But I'd still have to get a computer close enough to the TV, and this would probably mean buying a laptop.

If you could find a big enough TV with a PC connection and also get a PC (e.g., a laptop) close enough to the TV, that would do the job, and play your images even from a CD, presumably at the TV's native resolution, and not need a fancy & possibly expensive writer & player. So you could spend all the money on an even bigger TV.

Good luck! Please report anything else you find out. I'd like to view my pictures with my feet up.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:03 PM   #7

Yes, you would have to write the images to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disks using a PC with an appropriate drive.

Another option, as Alan T suggested, is to use a computer connected directly to the TV, and, for quite some time, PC display adapters have had DVI or HDMI video out ports, and, increasingly, laptops are comingwith HDMI video out ports as well.

But most TVs only have one or twoHDMI ports, and most people use them for a Cable Box/SatelliteReceiver and/or a DVD player.

You can switch the DVD player to the Component ports, but then you lose the audio connectionbetween the DVD Player andthe TV, so you'd need an audio cable as well. (If you've got a home theater system, you may not use your TV for audio anyway.)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:19 PM   #8

I'm looking at upgrading to a HDTV set, and some sets, e.g., some Panasonic models have an SD card slot. In the shop a high resolution model (42" plasma I think) even played HD video clips directly from my camcorder 8Gb SDHC card. I didn't test it for images, (which it will display in HD JPEG?), but have read that it will display in 16:9 widescreen format. Whilst you can obviously change the aspect ratio, I'm concerned whether it will maintain a 4:3 ratio each time an image is displayed, or need switching for every image. The other issue is controlling the order of picture display - unless a device supports a playlist creation, picture order is difficult to control. I will buy a PC Blu Ray or HD burner at some point, but am waiting for the dust to settle - for someone with a Sony PS3 or an Xbox, the optional Blu Ray burners seem to work well for HD video so should be OK for HD slideshows.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:02 PM   #9

It seems that Adobe Premier Elements will allow you to store HD video and still images onto a DVD. You can also include sound tracks and transitions.

I came across this when I was responding to another, similar inquiry. I haven't tried it, but the Adobe Premiere Elements manual says it will.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:51 PM   #10

There is quite a choice of programs now to combine HD or AVCHD video together with stills, transitions, music, etc on DVD. I have recently made a wedding video with AVCHD clips, SD video, stills and music with two suitable programs - Pinnacle Studio 11 and Nero 8.

Pinnacle is more for video + stills IMHO, but Nero Vision (part of Nero 8), has a specific Slideshow facility by which you can write to DVD, AVCD, Super Video D, Video CD and HD-Burn - this should suit you pretty well. Bear in mind that AVCHD is very demanding on PC capability and the codec used. The Nero codec seems more efficient than the Pinnacle.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote