Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

Which, if any, prosumer digital cameras offer treaded lens-fronts accepting standard filters? Casual examination leads me to imagine that some Panasonic (Lumix, DMC FZ18 for instance) might accept filters.
rmwirfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:18 PM   #2

Most prosumers can accept filters, either by directly screwing onto the lens or through an adapter. However, most filters are useless for digital photography. Most filters effects can be duplicated with greater control and without affecting image quality (filters can cause vignetting, flare, and image softness) through post processing. Polarizers and ND filters are really the only filters whose effects cannot be easily duplicated.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:47 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the guidance. I'm truly only interested in a polarizing filter, and find the setup for using same with the Canon G6 I own to be clunky, unsatisfying.

Are you aware of any brand/model of prosumer digicam that is made to accept screw-in filters?

I appreciate any help,

Thanks

RMWirfs
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:47 PM   #4

The Fujifilm Finepix S9600 has filter threads (58mm, I think), but this is not an easy feature to search for. Even if a camera has this feature, it usually isn't included in the product descriptions in catalogs.

You might have better luck going to the various manufacturer's websites (there aren't that many of them) and looking at their prosumer line. These sites usually have complete product descriptions including the availability of filter threads.

Or, could this be a case of the tail wagging the dog? It seems to me that there are far more important considerations in choosing a camera than whether it has built-in filter threads. It seems to me that you find a few cameras that let you do what you want to do with a camera before you ask whether it has filter threads or not.

Many of the prosumer-grade cameras have had lens accessories made for them by third-party manufacturers if they don't offer built-in threads. I have an excellent filter adapter made by Nextphoto of Canada for my Nikon 5700. They make adapters for many such cameras and I don't believe that they are the only company doing this anymore.

Would you buy a car that doesn't have ABS or airbags with an under-powered engine and clunky transmission just because it comes with tinted windows? Or would you look for a car that has good safety features with a well-equipped engine and drivetrain? If the second car doesn't come with tinted windows off the lot, you get them tinted by the dealer or from a third-party company.

Shop for the right camera, then address the filter issue.

Good luck!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:20 PM   #5

Good advice -- thanks!

I did experience the same frustration you identified -- how hard would it be to include filter info in camera descriptions??

Last summer Ifound that even the clunky & difficult-to-use adapter w/ (polarizing)filter made a great difference with the Canon G6 I've been using for a few years. I've just decided I don't want to work w/o the polarizing filter any more.

Simply, I'd like something easier to use; I have done just today what you suggested: I wrote to Panasonic & Fuji, got a positive response from Fuji, am waiting on Panasonic.

Finally, I'd like to identify the prosumer cameras that will meet this one requirement & then make a choice from among them. I will include the Nextphoto line in my inquiries. Good news is that there's no hurry!

Thanks so much for your time, your interest.

Ralph