Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1

I'm a photographer and am constantly asked for camera recommendations, and simply refer people to your site. But I recently noticed that the new Canon cameras shoot in a 16:9 widescreen ratio. A mother-in-law bought a Fuji 45fd, which shoots a 4:3 ratio.
I don't understand this. With these ratios, your 4 x 6's are always cropped.
Don't any cameras offer a 3:2 ratio, or the option to switch ratios to what would seem like the most popular option for making 4 x 6 prints?
I just called Canon and the tech guy was confused about the difference between ratios and JPEG compression. He finally said that all the cameras offer the 16:9 or 4:3.
Thanks,
jlazphoto
jlazphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:18 AM   #2

I'm fairly sure the dSLR's have a 3:2 aspect ratio, What I do to get around the prob is to leave a little room around subjects to allow the crop.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:17 PM   #3

I shoot with Mark II's, a 5D and 30D, which all have 3:2 ratios.
My question concerns cameras of the point and shoot variety, or even the "super zoom" (i.e. - Canon S5 IS).
Thanks
jlazphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:04 PM   #4

With the exception of Olympus, Panasonic, and Kodak, dSLRs from all manufacturers use a 3:2 aspect ratio. Theyadoptedthis to be able to take advantage of the supply of lenses already available for 35mm film SLRs, which use the 3:2 aspect ratio. So the tradition of 3:2 continues.

P&S digicams started using 4:3, and even 16:9 aspect ratio image sensors, because the image sensors were originally developed to record video images. These image sensors were laterused to capture still images as well as video, and many P&S digicams include the abilityof recording videos,hence the 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Since then, the resolution of image sensors for P&S digicams has far exceeded the resloution necessary to record videos, but the tradition of 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios continues.

So dSLRs share a common heritage with 35mm film SLRs, but P&S digicams share a common heritage with video cameras.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:21 PM   #5

I have the S1 IS and it shoots in 4:3.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:02 PM   #6

The Panasonic LX2 has a native 16:9 sensor and a switch on the lens to change between 16:9/4:3/3:2.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:02 AM   #7

The Fuji F20 has an option in the F-Mode Menu to change the Quality Setting to 3:2.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:26 PM   #8

I believe all of the current model Fujis have a 3:2 option.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:32 PM   #9

Our two Casio compacts,Fuji F31fd and Sony H5 all have a 3:2 option in the image quality setting, but no 16:9 option.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:46 PM   #10

You may have to check your camera's spec or menus. My Kodak and Casio don't have 3:2 set by factory default. I had to select it from the setup menus. I like shooting 3:2 since I print 4x6s and I hate doing post processing.

Your f45fd should have a 3:2 mode. I just ordered a f40fd and it has a 3:2 mode in the setup menu according to the pdf manual from fujifilm website.

The 16:9 mode is for folks who like viewing pics on their hi-def wide screen TV. Some digital frames are native 16:9. I think they use the same LCDs from portable DVD players.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote