Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:30 PM   #11

Here is a attempt at a macro (I need a better marco lens) of my adapter rings.
Attached Images

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:11 AM   #12

Hi again, Calicajun, almost neighbor! It's interesting that you mentioned about the vignetting - today I played with my brand new lens, a 12-24mm and discovered that the lens hood that came with it can be seen at the corners (the hood might not have been on correctly, I'll have to play more with it later). Now I wonder if thepolarizer will do the same thing. I also hope that vignetting won't be a problem since I'm stepping up rather than down, butworry that 52 to 77 might be too much (my biggest lenses are 77mm so that's the size polarizer I bought). I'll find out Friday since I had them shipped ground.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:20 AM   #13

Unfortunately alot of wide angle lenses are prone to vignetting, and adding filters typically makes it even worse. The good news is vignetting is easily corrected now in software or by doing a slight crop. I still don't think you should have been able to see the hood, though, so you may have either had it on wrong or if you had bought the lens used, you may have been given the wrong hood.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:02 AM   #14

Well my first thought if you're seeing the lens hood is that you have it on incorrectly. Reason is that I have done that very same thing and my daughter hasn't let me live it down either. Seeing as she was the one using the camera with the lens hood attached, hey thought I was helping. As for the adapter rings, stepping down should not cause any problems, ie using a 77mm on a 58mm lens but as you said you'll know for sure on Friday.

BTW, I ended up with the Canon 40D camera for Christmas, funny choice as it seems to be the wife's favorite.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:13 PM   #15

Have fun with your 40D - seems like an awesome camera.

The lens hood WAS on wrong! I played with it at lunchtime between raindrops and had no problems (the hood's a bit stiff to get on).

The rings turned out to be metal - aluminum I would guess. The polarizer is heavier than I had expected it to be (and looks huge). There doesn't seem to be additional vignetting with the wide angle or with the other lenses using the step up rings (but hard to judge in the rain). An obvious thing to think about when doing this is that you can't use the smaller lens's hoods (seems obvious, but I hadn't thought about it) - another reason to ultimately get the proper sized filters, whenever the budget allows. At the moment I think this set-up will work very well for the time being.

Thanks, everyone, for the information you've given me!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:52 PM   #16

kind of an old thread but thought I would ask since I am in the same boat..

got some 52mm filters for my panasonic 45-200mm zoom and thinking about using a step up 46mm to 52mm to use them on my 14mm panasonic prime.

Sounds like if i get a thin step up I should be okay, right?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:27 PM   #17

Yes. Step-up rings allow you to mount a larger filter onto a smaller lens, which is what you want to do.

But the 14mm f/2.5 is pretty wide and has a large aperture. The wrong Step-up ring could cause vignetting. The good news is, they're not very expensive, so you can get a selection of them, figure out which works best, and throw the others away.

I presume these are good filters we're talking about.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:37 PM   #18

yes Hoya filters - if I were into using cheapo filters then I would just buy for each lens