Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2003, 12:31 PM   #11

USB 2.0 = roughly 400Mbs (slightly faster than firewire)
USB 1.0/1.1 = 10Mbs

There are various USB2.0 PCI cards/kits that will allow you to have USB2.0. They take a at most 10mins to get running.

Open your case, find an available PCI (white) slot, slide the card in, turn computer on, load the drivers

If running WinXP the drivers will be already on your machine, if running 98, 98SE, ME, the accompanied disc should have them, if not Microsofts Updates website should have them too.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 12:44 PM   #12

if you are running XP and have updated all the critical and service packs. the MS drivers are already available in the OS and should install automatically. if not the card will have the driver for the applicable chipset being used.

if your computer is older than 1 year it most likely NOT have USB2.

99.9% of usb1 cabling will work with usb2 devices.

the average cost of a usb2 PCI adapter card with 2-3 ports is less then $20

www.newegg.com
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 3:29 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help on this subject. I am running Windows XP which I purchased almost two years ago - it does not have USB 2. I want to upgrade to 2 because I want increased speed. I will take your great solutions and run out and get the necessary board. I already have some USB 2 cables. Thanks again for everyones help.

Terry
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 4:26 PM   #14

again if you have loaded service pack 1a and all the critical updates XP will be usb2 capable. you will need a USB2 pci adapter card giving you usb2 ports. should the chipset not be supported by XP a driver is generally supplied by the vendor. after XP boots and you have the card in it will notify you it sees the card and is loading the drivers. after its done you can check in system and it will say there is an enhanced usb device or something like that installed. your existing usb1 ports will remain usb1 ports. its not just software it is a chipset issue. there is no need for usb2 certified cables. the marketing dept of companies love to re market something at a higher price because its "certified". i have yet to find a usb1 cable that won't interconnect a usb2 device at its rated speed to a usb2 port.
i connect a epson 2200 printerand a epson 3200 scanner to my computer. both are usb2 components.

now on the other hand hubs must be usb2 in order to interconnect usb2 devices and maintain the speed. you can still plug usb1 devices into the hub.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:00 PM   #15

Default your existing usb1 ports will remain usb1 ports.

sjms: I thought I was ready to do this and then you lost me with "your existing usb1 ports will remain usb ports". I don't want my existing usb ports to remain - I want to upgrade to 2.0.
Are you telling me that some ports will be converted to 2.0 and the others will remain 1.0 ... or are you telling me that all the ports will be upgraded to 2.0 but will still be compatible with 1.0.

Terry
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:30 PM   #16

if you have existing usb ports on your computer right that are usb1 they will remain usb1 forever. you cannot change them over to usb2 ports.
what you will do the pci card is to add 2-4 usb2 ports to your existing system. only those ports will be usb2.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....116-403-05.JPG

so, yes you will have both usb1 and usb2 ports on your machine if it originally came with usb1 ports.

there is a difference in the controller chips for the 2 types.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:33 AM   #17

No one mentioned this yet... and it may or may not be obvious.....

USB 2.0 only gives you the faster transmission rate when you have usb 2.0 devices on both ends.....

An older USB 1.1 camera will only transfer at usb 1.1 speeds -- even if it is hooked up to a usb 2.0 card in the computer.

While most computers can be upgraded to usb 2.0 with an add-on card, usb 1.1 devices (scanners, cameras, printers, etc.) cannot be upgraded to usb 2.0..... aka the usb 1.1 camera cannot be upgraded to usb 2.0 for the faster transfer rates.

That said... usb 2.0 sure is nice when you have a 128mb or higher memory card you want to download with your card reader

Best regards

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 12:04 PM   #18

As long as your card reader is USB2.0

To know if a device is USB2.0 certified. Look at the packaging. It will say Hi-Speed USB, or even USB 2.0 on it
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 12:25 PM   #19

you have to watch the way they say USB2. if it says USB2 enabled or available it still may be a usb1 device. the first generation usb1 zio cf readers (cleare purple ones)showed up with usb2 enabled or something like that on them as an added sticker. it really meant it would work with usb2 but they neglected to say at only usb1 speeds. look for the hi-speed logo.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:02 PM   #20

Hey Gang

Don't get speed confused. USB 1.1 = 12Mbps USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps

Great. But it will not speed up your computer or your printer. If your printer prints 10 pages per minute you can hook it up to a Nucler Power Plant and it will still print 10 pages per minute. USB 2.0 is backward compatable to 1.1 and some times vice versa.

dcables is offline   Reply With Quote