Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 8, 2003, 7:31 PM   #1

Default USB 1 and 2 questiion

Is there a way I can upgrade from USB 1 to USB 2. Is this done by inserting a new board? Is this a simple or complex process? Cost? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2003, 7:49 PM   #2

This'll be a pretty lame answer but since nobody else has helped you yet...
Yes you can upgrade from usb 1 to usb 2.....there are outboard devices that allow this......what they're called or where you put them I'm clueless on.As I understand it they are neither expensive nor hard to install.....mainly plug and play.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:08 PM   #3

USB 1.1 and 2 have the same host-side plugs. If you are running any Windows OS from Win98SE and above, you don't have to worry about it. Just plug the camera in.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:29 PM   #4

I use a lap top which has a (2) PCMCIA slot(s). To add USB 2.0 capability, I bought a Belkin 2 port PCMCIA 'Buscard'. Cost about $50, easy to install.

I've noted that there are just a whole host of suppliers that sell USB 2.0 PCI cards for desk top machines, and for less $$ than the PCMCIA card that I bought. Any of these should be acceptable and real easy to install.

I needed the bandwidth of USB 2 in order to support my external CD burner's high speed capability, elsewise the USB 1.1 that is native to my laptop was quite sufficient for my picture file down load needs.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
USB 1.1 and 2 have the same host-side plugs. If you are running any Windows OS from Win98SE and above, you don't have to worry about it. Just plug the camera in.
They may have the "same" shape and size plug, but USB 1.1 and USB 2 are two different animals. Yes, you can plug a USB 2.x device into a USB 1.x receptacle, but then the USB 2 device will slow down to USB 1.x speeds. You will need a USB 2 board installed on your PC and you will need USB 2 cables to plug your USB 2 device into a USB 2 port.

USB 2 boards can be found for less than $40.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:45 AM   #6

Any relatively new (within the last couple years) PC will have the USB 2 port already built into it. Since 2 falls back to 1.1 when a 1.1 device is inserted, there's no need for a separate card on these PCs.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:52 AM   #7

You want a usb 2.0 PCI card, its easy to install too, turn computer off and take case off, and put the card in the only place it will fit. (the usb plugs facing the back of the computer) put the case on and turn it on! simple!
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Any relatively new (within the last couple years) PC will have the USB 2 port already built into it.
Terry mentioned that he/she wanted to upgrade to USB2, so I am guessing that his/her PC does not currently have it.

I'm not sure exactly what the date is, but USB2 has only been added to new PC's within the last few months. This is because Win XP did not support USB2 prior to the release of SP2.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:48 AM   #9

Yes, but if you buy a pci card from a 3rd party vendor, with 2 USB2 sockets, won't they have have provided the drivers for their product?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:48 AM   #10

Also true

But it is always best to go with the Microsoft certified drivers. Back when USB2 boards were first hitting the market (and prior to Microsoft supporting it) there were problems with unsigned drivers and compatibility issues.