Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:24 PM   #1

Hi all,

Where do you all sell your used gear?

I am trying to sell my D50, some lenses and some accessories...
I have tried eBay, Craigslist, among some other local avenues.

The only people I am getting to even look at the stuff are trying to lowball me to the point of not even wanting to sell because of the idiocy out there... LOL!!!

All my stuff is pretty much new and definately perfect, yet they all think that it should cost nothing because it's used...LOL Gimme a break!

any help is appreciated! ;-)

Thanks,
Gary

garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:06 PM   #2

keh.com is one of the largest dealers in used gear there is. I think that B&H Photo and Adorama buy used stuff for resale. But, you probably know that going that route will only get you a "wholesale" price since these places intend to resell to the public.

Where I live, there are various TV stations that offer a local (free) "classifieds" section on their website. If you tried this avenue, would you consider taking a trade of goods or services instead of cash? Sometimes you can come out ahead doing a barter since both parties are essentially operating at wholesale.

I would have thought that ebay would have a good chance of beating these other options. You might have to offer your stuff several times in order to get a minimum satisfactory price. A lot of the time it just comes down to luck. It just takes a few of the "right" bidders to jack-up the price. And, now that the hollidays are over, there might be more people going to ebay to pick up stuff that they didn't get for Christmas. Unless there are a glut of D50's being offered at the moment, this still might be your best bet.

No matter where you go to sell, the longer you hold onto the camera the less it'll be worth.

Good luck, however you go!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:18 AM   #3

Well, I went and put it all up on ebay again...LOL
We'll see what happens :roll:

Hopefully it will sell... If anyone is interested PM me or email me at [email protected] and i'll give you the link.
I don't want to break any rules here by posting it :-)

C'Ya,
Gary
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:27 AM   #4

You shouldn't have any trouble selling your camera on Ebay, unless you're asking price is too high. You haven't said what lenses or accessories you're selling with it, but I wouldn't expect more than $500 for the body and kit lens in used condition even with accessories. Most ebay auctions are going for between $400 and $500, some of which include other accessories. I haven't seen any used D50's available on Keh or Adorama, but as was mentioned, these vendors would give a wholesale price, so you could probably only expect about $300. Keh does have an estimating tool that you could use to find out the approximate value of your camera.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:40 AM   #5

the problem is that as cameras get older there prices drop, u may have paid a lot for it when it first came out, but what do they sell for now brand new??

had a quick look about and found one for £250 i had one offered as some friend was short of money, he thought £200 was a good price and so did i till i looked up how cheap they where

second hand value is 1/2 to 2/3 of new value, its a tought world im affraid, the camera i have was £699 on release, i got it for £449 when it was due to be replaced when i bought mine.........prob be lucky to get £200 with 2 lenses for it now

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:08 PM   #6

I can understand losing money if I had bought it years ago when they first came out, but this thing is pretty much brand new and it shows as brand new...
Used ones I see usually have something wrong... chips, scratches, cracked, some sort of wear and tear...
This doesn't.

I went to KEH and used their system...offered me $300 for everything... I think not...LOL!!!
Just so they can make $500 off me? Naaaaa

The ones available online now are pretty much all refurbished, if you can get one at all...
Seeing as this model had been disco'd and basically toughted asthe best entry dSLR with all the high praises out there I wouldn't think it would be so hard to sell at a fair price...
Supply and demand, ya know?!

Anyway...

This is what i'm selling...

Nikon D50 body
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF
Battery
Battery charger
USB cable
CD
Manuals
1gb SD memory card
Strap
All lens covers and lens hoods

Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:36 PM   #7

i know its out of stock but here is a link to one at £200 brand new thats about $400

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?...amp_id=froogle

dixons are a big chain store and dont sell refurbs etc, like i said the price on these dropped to unbelievable prices, that in turn affects the resale price second hand, plus most people want 8 or 10 mp these days.

im not trying to pull you down of anything just trying to point out why maybe you have not got the price you wanted

on the english version of ebay (.co.uk) there are a few bidders on the d50s and they look to be around the £200 $400 mark at moment, so over here there is intrest in them

in your previous post u mentioned an offer of $300 and them making $500 out of you, does that mean you think camera is worth $800 ??

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:54 PM   #8

Well, seeing as I saw one go not to many weeks ago for $700 with only a 55-200vr lens with blemishes on the body, yes, I think $800 is fair for all I have...
I can get the refurb w/ an 18-55 for about 600+, so, yes I think what I am selling is worth the money...
Seeing as my online business sells overseas as well, shipping is not cheap, so you can factor that into the prices from the UK...

From all I read around the net, the 18-70 is a well sought after lens that is not too easy to come by as well... but it looks like the prices around are not reflecting that either...LOL!!!

For what it's worth, the kit has been up for one day and already has 3 bids and is up to $305...

Anyway, fingers crossed the high bid is somewhat near to what I want and i'll sell.
If not, I guess I can always use a second camera...LOL!!!

Thanks for your input,
Gary
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:30 PM   #9

No way you'll get $800 for that set up....one could get the d40x 2 lens kit for close to that price. The 18-70 does make the setup a little more attractive but everything else is what I would expect (the strap, charger, battery etc). Considering you could get the 2 lens kit for the d50 for $899 new last year, and entry level equipment does not hold its value well you may be looking for too much. I think $550 to $650 tops is the fair value for this..$200 for the 18-70, $300 for the camera, and $100 for the tamron on the conservative side, $25-$50 more on the high side. These are the prices I'd expect KEH to sell the items for separately, so their offer of $300 makes sense, (assume a 100% markup). Regardless of how new the equipment looks or how well you've taken care of it, it is still used. Also, the technology in the D50 is last generation, and will soon be even older as another entry level camera is likely to be released this year. I know its hard to part with equipment, but it is what it is and I think what you've encountered in the market so far, should be telling you that you're just simply asking (or expecting) too much.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:05 PM   #10

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I know its hard to part with equipment, but it is what it is and I think what you've encountered in the market so far, should be telling you that you're just simply asking (or expecting) too much.
Used digital equipment, especially the lower line DSLR's, digicams and consumer lenses do not fetch premium prices...period. Pro-spec lenses will always hold their value second-hand. Selling to someone like KEH, you are the wholeseller, meaning you do good to get half of what they'll try and sell it for. If it's something that's not a fast mover, you may get less. If it's something they already have a lot of, forget it!

Unless it's one of the higher spec models, third-party consumerlenses like your Tamron simply are not desireable on the second-hand market. People buy them because they are cheaper than OEM equipment and that's well and good, but that isshort-sighted thinking as you are now finding out.It's nothing more than filler in an ad for a D50. "Di", "LD", "macro", whatever.... on their own, they are virtually worthless..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-70-300-Si...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-70-300-4-...QQcmdZViewItem

Buying cheap/inexpensive always comes at a cost of its own if you don't wind up wanting to keep it, so buya third-party lensknowing that is really what you want, because you will be stuck with it unless you are willing to sell it for what it's worth used, which ain't much. If you want to somewhatprotect your investment (and this stuff is only an investment for pros...for us, it's an expense), ALWAYS buyNikon lenses if you have a Nikon DSLR.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote