Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:38 PM   #1

I have several spots on a lens that I can not seem to remove with light cleaning. I know the spots are not on the sensor. I have checked the camera with a different lens, and there are no spots with the other lens. Is it possible the spots are on the inside of the lens?
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:50 PM   #2

Here is a photo that shows the spots. I increased the contrast a lot, to show the spots. The lower photo was taken with another lens. The spots appear to be water spots, but they do no come off with cleaning the front and back of the lens with light rubbing.

Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:02 PM   #3

Is it possible the spots are on the sensor? Maybe the different lens is keeping the spots out of focus. I had both lens at/or about 50mm for the test photos. I have not cleaned the sensor since I got the camer almost 2 years ago.

Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:22 PM   #4

I just did some more reading and found that I needed to take the aperture way up on the 50mm lens. Now the spots show on both lenses. I will have to do some research on sensor cleaners.

Here is a photo from the second lens with the ap. set to 22. The picture is blurring due to the slow shutter speed.

Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:56 AM   #5

How very odd! The spots go in and out of focus with changes in aperture! Yet they appear in exactly the same place with two different lenses!

It's possible that your camera has some sort of filter over the image sensor, and these spots are fromparticles on that filter. That should make cleaning it less precarious than if you didn't have that filter.

Which camera do you have?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6

I have a Nikon D50. I used the mirror lock up and looked at the filted and did not see anything. I used a blower and puffed some air onto the filter. The spots are basically gone now. However, a couple of other ones are near the edges now. I can live with that, until I get myself a sensor cleaning kit.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7

It's definitely dust on your sensor. The reason the spots are seen more clearly at small aperatures is because your DOF increases at smaller aperatures. You can't see thenm on the filter becsuse they are extremely small...it doesn't take much or very large particles to become visible. A good blower will take care of most of your dust, otherwise you may need to use swabs to get the more stubborn dust off. The good news is the dust will generally only be seen in solid light colored areas such as a blue sky.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:12 PM   #8

Just put the body w/o body cap in the washer on gentle cycle. Use mild detergent. That should take care of the dust.

And just in case anyone is daft enough to take me seriously, this is a joke....
Ron:blah::?:roll::?
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:31 PM   #9

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
Just put the body w/o body cap in the washer on gentle cycle. Use mild detergent. That should take care of the dust.
I'd have thought the dishwasher would have been a better choice, ... no spin cycle. [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:43 PM   #10

Yes, a dishwasher would be better for a Nikon, but a Canon can take it....

Ron:blah:
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote