Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:07 AM   #1

:|I recently purchased a Nikon D40, I would LOVE any tips or tricks anyone has to offer. I'am trying to learn as much as I can. Also, is there any accesories that would be beneficial? Any feedback would be AMAZING. <3
CalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:45 AM   #2

Jane,

My advice is to get a couple books from the library on photography. Understanding Exposure is a popular beginner book. I prefer a book to the internet because the book is usually more mobile so you can take it 'into the field' so to speak. Learn the concepts of photography: exposure, aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, composition. When you encounter something you don't understand ask questions here or other photography forums. But you can also google things too to get quicker results.

When you have a basic understanding, there are some wonderful articles on Luminous Landscape website which will help give you more detail.

But the key is you have to keep taking photos and trying to apply and understand the concepts. That's the great thing about digital - you can literally take hundreds of photos and go right back to your computer and see them.

In the end, the camera is just a tool. You have a great tool there. But to get the most out of it you have to understand how to best use it. Will it take photos right out of the box in auto mode? Absolutely. But if you have an understanding of the principles of photography you'll be able to take much, much better photos.

I would also recommend waiting on the purchase of other accessories - with the exception of something to put your camera in. Practice with the camera and lens you have right now. Eventually you'll develop your own style of photography and the things you like to take photos of. You'lleventually find you're having problems getting the photos you really want. THAT is when it's time to look at the next accessory or lens. That way people here can help identify the tool that best fits YOUR needs. Not what they needed which might be very different than what you need.

Have fun with it. And, I encourage you to post potos in the forums and ask for advice on how to improve the photos. You'll be amazed at how much you can improve by listening to advice from people who have been doing this longer. I'll also encourage you to post photos in content style forums rather than just gear forums. If you take a photo of a person and want feedback - the best feedback is going to come from people who like to take people photos. Whether they use a nikon, canon, pentax or oly camera is really irrelevant. That doesn't mean don't post in the nikon forum. Not at all. Post in both.

Good luck and have fun!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:53 AM   #3
Administrator

Nikon's online tutorials may help you understand your camera. You'll see separate lessons for your D40 (it will have a "movie tour" that goes through all of the controls, camera modes, etc.).

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:36 PM   #4

CalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote