Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:09 AM   #21

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
I've had CDs and DVDs that worked fine become unreadable after a year or less and I'm not exactly trusting of them.
What were the storage conditions? I have CD-R s from 1998 that are still perfectly readable. They were, at the time the least expensive I could find. Some are music, and others are data - all good. I have found, though, that a great way to destroy them is to hang them outside in the sunlight for a month or two. The overcoating, dye, and even the aluminum falke right off, leaving only the plastic disc itself.

A reasonably temperature controlled environment and minimal light should not be a problem for CDs. Storing in a car in the summer, though will definitely shorten their lives.

One way to preserve the actual prints is to laminate them

with UV stabilized pouches, they should then be preserved

for longer than prints that aren't laminated.:idea:.......musket.

Maybe not. The solvents from inkjets or developers from chemical process prints will be sealed in with the paper as well. I keep mine in albums, but not sealed.

The old advice for storage is probably best - "Store in a cool, dark place."

brian
They were all stored individually cased in a jewel case, then in a CD storage box at room temperature. Most CDs read back just fine, but there was one or two that would not read at all and another one or two that made the drive struggle a lot to read.

Tcav, you have it backward.
When CD-Rs came out, most CD-ROM drives can read them, but many DVD drives couldn't (due to use of a different wavelength laser(red vs IR) that does not show the contrast of CD-R dye)

Earlier CD-ROM drives coudn't read CD-RWs due to lower reflectivity, but most DVD drives can read them since they respond to red as well as IR laser.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:28 AM   #22

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
I've had CDs and DVDs that worked fine become unreadable after a year or less and I'm not exactly trusting of them.
What were the storage conditions? I have CD-R s from 1998 that are still perfectly readable. They were, at the time the least expensive I could find. Some are music, and others are data - all good. I have found, though, that a great way to destroy them is to hang them outside in the sunlight for a month or two. The overcoating, dye, and even the aluminum falke right off, leaving only the plastic disc itself.

A reasonably temperature controlled environment and minimal light should not be a problem for CDs. Storing in a car in the summer, though will definitely shorten their lives.

One way to preserve the actual prints is to laminate them

with UV stabilized pouches, they should then be preserved

for longer than prints that aren't laminated.:idea:.......musket.

Maybe not. The solvents from inkjets or developers from chemical process prints will be sealed in with the paper as well. I keep mine in albums, but not sealed.

The old advice for storage is probably best - "Store in a cool, dark place."

brian

Flaking, damp, grimeand surface chipping on prints are also some of the things that

happen with storage of photo's, we don't use nitrate based films anymore as they

were volatile and could burst into flames,they were replaced with safety film a long

time ago, I am reminded also of insects that were trapped in amber millions of years

ago and are still intact today...(why?), maybe we should store them in amber :-).......musket.

ps. I've been using a laminator and 150mic pouches on my inkjet prints for a

few years now, nonoticeable bad effects so far :roll:

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:43 AM   #23

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
... I have found, though, that a great way to destroy them is to hang them outside in the sunlight for a month or two. ...
Just curious.

Is this something you were trying to do, or did you just happen to hang them outside in the sunlight for a month or two, and you discovered that they were distroyed? [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:40 PM   #24

TCav wrote:
Quote:
VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
... I have found, though, that a great way to destroy them is to hang them outside in the sunlight for a month or two. ...
Just curious.

Is this something you were trying to do, or did you just happen to hang them outside in the sunlight for a month or two, and you discovered that they were distroyed? [suB]:-)[/suB]
I had some backups that were superceded, and as they were of no use, I hung them in the garden area as combination suncatchers and scarecrows. Worked great as suncatchers, but the crows just seemed fascinated by them.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote