Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:02 PM   #1

Default Canon D300/Digital Rebel Issues

Hi all,

I just attended a Canon Product show in Toronto and was very impressed with the D300 as well as the Canon A80 (Although I'm planning on calling it the 80-A... A-80 doesn't roll of the tongue, does it?)

At any rate, I had a customer of mine ask me a very relevant question tonight and I'm trying to find an answer too.

The new D300 can be used with over 50 Canon EF lenses.... are the SIGMA lenses that are compatable with the 35mm cameras compatable with the D300?

Does anyone know? I think it's going to be a very important issue for many potential users of the D300.

Love the site btw Steve... I suggest it to all my prospective camera buyers.

Cheers,
Ken Kosowan
KenKosowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:11 PM   #2

It's a question of lens mount. If the D300 has a EF lens mount, then it can take any Sigma lens which fits the EF lens mount.

A quick check of Steve's review shows that it does have an EF lens mount, so I know of no reason why Sigma lenses shouldn't work. Some lenses might have to be re-chiped because Canon changed something in the protocol, but Sigma does this for free for a certain amount of time after the new camera comes out.

Sigma doesn't license the lens mount design from Canon, they reverse engineer it... as far as I know no one has licenses it. With Nikon, Sigma/Tamron and others have licensed the Nikon F mount. So their lenses just work on Nikon cameras. I've never understood this difference in philosophy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 11:26 PM   #3

Quote:
well as the Canon A80 (Although I'm planning on calling it the 80-A... A-80 doesn't roll of the tongue, does it?)
Sorry, just had to quote this little part of your post....lol. I like the 80-Eh....I mean A as well. Seems to be much easier to say for me for some reason.....
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 11:52 PM   #4

tkmckay,

In Canada it's 80 EH, in New York it's EH 80 :lol:
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 3:22 AM   #5
NHL

Only some older Sigma lenses made before 2000 needed to be reworked for free! ie if you already own the lens or bought some used ones. The EX's series of ultrasonic HSM lenses do not need this: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/news/News.htm

Quote:
Important Notice For Canon EOS 10D and Canon Elan 7/Elan 7e camera Users

Dear Sigma lens user,

Recently Canon introduced a new model digital AF SLR camera, the EOS 10D. This new camera incorporates some significant upgrading in technology (electronics, software, etc.). In order to be fully compatible with this new camera, lenses must have compatible new electronics and software.

Some Sigma lenses made before December 2000 will require upgrading in order to function properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera. This modification is not necessary for Sigma HSM type lenses. There may be no outward indication that the lens is not performing properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera. Owners who believe their lens may require modification should contact Sigma's Service department for instructions on how to have their lens upgraded.

The lens should then be sent to Sigma’s Service Department, with a note describing that the lens will be used with the new camera. Sigma technicians will then perform the necessary upgrade.

This service will be provided as a courtesy and will not affect the lens’ performance with other Canon AF SLR cameras. In addition, a cleaning and a check of all lens functions will also be provided at no cost to the lens’ owner.

Sincerely,

SIGMA Corporation of America
Service Department
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Tel: 631 585-1144
Fax: 631 585-1895
e-mail: [email protected]
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 9:47 AM   #6

Excellent info guys. Much appreciated.

I think calling it the 80-eh will catch on..... it rolls of the tongue far more than A-80, which I find to be a tongue twister after talking cameras for an hour or so.
KenKosowan is offline   Reply With Quote