Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:56 PM   #1

I have just bought a Nikon D200 and need to edit my Raw pics. All I have now is Windows 2000 and Photoshop 7

Is there any add-on I could use to access my Raw files from Photoshop ?

Thanks
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:22 PM   #2

PS7 did have a RAW plugin, but I think that it was ACR version 2.1, or something close. ACR support for the D-200 didn't come out until version 3.3, which won't work with PS7.

You have to get a stand-alone RAW converter and then import into Photoshop. I think that many converters give you an option to open the converted image in another editor automatically -- I think some even specify Photoshop -- but the shift won't be as fast as it would be with ACR. Whether any of these programs can be automatically accessed and run from Photoshop when you chose to open a RAW file from Photoshop, I don't know.

Nikon Capture is a good RAW converter, but it's pricey, as is Phase One Capture One. Bibble makes a good product, too, for quite a bit less. There are also some freeware converters that have their own fans: ufRaw and Raw Therapee among them.

If you have an upgradeable copy of PS7, you can get CS3 for something like $150.00. That would give you a good bang for your buck.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:28 PM   #3

Thank you very much Grant. I may have indeed to jump to CS3, but that means going to XP, which I hate, or Vista, which I think is even worse. Not much choice... Or move to a Mac ! Maybe...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:34 PM   #4

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
If you have an upgradeable copy of PS7, you can get CS3 for something like $150.00. That would give you a good bang for your buck.

Grant
The sticking point may be that he also is running Windows 2000. How compatible is CS3 with that OS? May also be a problem with other converters written recently.

Irfanview is another free program which gives you the option to open an image in another editor. The RAW converter works very well, but doesn't give you any options - it simply converts with its defaults. All editing must be done on the converted image.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:37 AM   #5

Rather than chance the cash, why not try Rawtherapee It's free - although donations are appreciated. Runs on most flavours of Windows, Macs and Linux and handles most RAW formats. :|:|:|
TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:16 AM   #6
Administrator

Bibble Pro will work as a plugin to PS 7 under Win 2K. You'll find operating system and hardware requirements at the bottom of this page:

http://bibblelabs.com/products/bibble/specs.html

You can download a trial version and see if you like it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:27 PM   #7

The magazine who wants my mexican classic cars pics told me to not touch anything and just translate the Raw into Tiff and send them both the Tiff and a small JPG, leaving the Raw with me to proof the ownership of the pic. In that case, the Irfanview is a great tip !

Now for a more personal use, I am hearing that lots of photographers are using Capture NX which does work for windows 2000, but boy, my PC is just too slow.

Rawtherapee installssmoothly butit cannot look for a NEF file, I have to "force" the software to opena .NEF, and then it crashes when opening.

Now I just have to try Bibble pro.

Thanks again to all of you.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Administrator

Also try UFRaw. It can work as a stand alone raw converter, or as a plugin for the Gimp

Both are free.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote