Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1

i have 2 computers at home. i do most, if not all of my photo editing on my old xp but it cannot hold all of my photos and i use the new vista computer for anything that has to do with the Internet because it is way faster.

is there a something out there that can hold ALL of my photos and that i can still play with both computers easily? because CD and DVD ( what i doing now) are a pain.

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! thank you !
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:36 PM   #2

usb plug in hard drive is what you probably want

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:02 PM   #3

If the two computers are networked, the easy answer is to buy a USB hard disk and fit it to one of the PCs - you could access the photos from both PCs then. My concern would be that the USB disk might fail and you lose all your photos.

If the two PCs run stand-alone, and you still want to use the old PC for photo-editing, I would simply add another hard disk (internal or USB) to that PC to give enough storage. But it would be an opportunity to duplicate the photo storage by using the newer PC with a back-up copy of your "working" photos (assuming that there is sufficient disk space on the new PC). Programs such as Photoshop Elements have an Organiser from which you can backup to multiple DVDs, and then restore to another PC running the same program. The negative is that you shouldn't change the photos on the back-up copy - depends what you mean by "playing" with the photos.

What about transferring the photo editing to the new machine and using the old machine for the backup - you might be able to free up enough disk space now that you have a new machine?

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:37 PM   #4

External hard disk drives are cheap, simple ways to do what you want, but they are the least reliable storage medium. One of the most reliable is an internal hard disk drive. They're a lot cheaper, but they do require you to crawl around inside your computer. It's not tough, but if you don't like that idea, either take your computer in or have a techician come out to install it for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
<snip>, but they are the least reliable storage medium. <snip>.
Why do you say that? Is it the jostling/moving around? I've always figured the reliability is about the same if the external drive is stationary. Are there other factors at play?
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:35 PM   #6

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
<snip>, but they are the least reliable storage medium. <snip>.
Why do you say that? Is it the jostling/moving around? I've always figured the reliability is about the same if the external drive is stationary. Are there other factors at play?
Yes. The more connectors you put in a system, the more likely it is to fail. With an internal HDD, you've got the cable between the HDD and the motherboard. With an external HDD, you've got the cable between the HDD and the USB controller, the cable between the USB controller and the connector on the case, the cable between the case and the computer, and the cable between the connector on the computer's case and the USB controller. That's eight connectors instead of just two. In addition, an internal HDD runs off the computer's power supply, whereas the external HDD needs its own, with all the connectors associated with that. Also, with an internal HDD if the HDD fails you lose your data; with an external HDD, if the HDD, the SATA to USB controller, or the external power supply fail, you lose your data. That's three components that could fail instead of just one.

I used to say that floppy disks were the least reliable storage medium, but those are almost gone. Now, it's external HDDs. There are just too many things that can, have, and will go wrong. No other storage medium is as precarious.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:49 PM   #7

my pc as 6 usb ports that are direct to the motherboard, so just one conection like a normal hard drive, so as long as its not dropped then i dont see a problem.

i have used external drive for backing up data and storing pics for a while with no problems. with 500 gig drives for £50 they are amazing value

one plus is that when your not using it and unplug it your stuff is 100% safe, unlike if its a slave drive, always conected and vulnerable

Gary
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:33 PM   #8

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
my pc as 6 usb ports that are direct to the motherboard, so just one conection like a normal hard drive ...
You're forgetting about the four connections between the actual, physical hard disk drive and the USB port on the back of the case that the HDD is in, not to mention the interface that converts the SATA interface in the physical drive to the USB interface on the back of the case. Those, plus the extra power supply are all trouble spots.

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
... so as long as its not dropped then i dont see a problem.
I haven't even mentioned the potential problems that arrise from dropping it.

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
i have used external drive for backing up data and storing pics for a while with no problems. with 500 gig drives for £50 they are amazing value

one plus is that when your not using it and unplug it your stuff is 100% safe, unlike if its a slave drive, always conected and vulnerable
Actually, no. The more often you turn something on and off, and the more often you connect and disconnect something, the sooner it will fail.

See "Mean Cycles Between Failures (MCBF)" in any of the following links:

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rdv/comp...Q-2.jp.12.html
http://www.versacall.com/ws_glossary.htm
http://www.storagereview.com/guide20...pecCycles.html

But good luck to you.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:24 PM   #9

i only made a suggestion, that was easy for julieanne, without "boring" her with technical stuff, seemed a drive to share with both pcs (as she wanted) was the ideal thing for her limited knowledge.

am not forgetting about the conections, its just that i dont care, i made, as said a simple suggestion to the orignal poster

guess i was wrong

Gary

Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:04 PM   #10

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
i only made a suggestion, that was easy for julieanne, without "boring" her with technical stuff, seemed a drive to share with both pcs (as she wanted) was the ideal thing for her limited knowledge.
... and it was a perfectly reasonable suggestion,and certainly one method that many peopleare using to back up and share their data (photos or not). I was just pointing out the inherent danger (however remote)in using it asthe only place to store her photos.