Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:27 AM   #1

I am comtemplating buying the High-Power Flash HF-DC1 for my Canon PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this flash. Is there any advantage to using the High-Power Flash HF-DC1? If so, what are the advantages? Does it reduce red eye affect? And, how about any disadvantages? How about unwanted harsh shadows? Is it worth the money?

Thanks for any replies!

neilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:32 AM   #2

When your camera does not have a hot shoe, and you need to take longer distance indoor shots that require a flash, the simplest option is an external slave flash like the HF-DC1 of Canon.

I own one and use it for when I need a stronger flash than the onboard.

Does it work - yes, generally. But you need to remember that this flash works off the onboard flash of the camera - it senses when the onboard flash goes off then fires.

If the ambient condition is such that there is still some amount of light, the external flash somtimes fails to sense the onboard flash and does not fire. So it does not always do what you want.

Does it reduce red eye? It might help a bit, if you can mount it as far from the camera body as the bracket will allow, thereby taking the flash unit as far as possible from the direct line from camera to subject's eyes.

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:25 AM   #3

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
... But you need to remember that this flash works off the onboard flash of the camera - it senses when the onboard flash goes off then fires.

If the ambient condition is such that there is still some amount of light, the external flash somtimes fails to sense the onboard flash and does not fire. So it does not always do what you want.
You can put a cardboard or a metal/plastic piece to redirect light from the onboard flash, or better, use an optic fiber from the onboard flash to the slave sensor.

The same problem occurs also when you shoot outdoors or a scene/big room (the light can't bounce back enough).

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:39 AM   #4

KCan,

Would you, please give more detail as to how the optic fiber is mounted, and where would I obtain the optic fiber? Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:40 AM   #5

a-beginner,

Thank you very much for this useful information!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:02 PM   #6

You can search this forum for the Bower slave flash. The originator mentioned that it is more powerful than the Canon slave. The originator was mtclimber.

Here's the link:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...er+slave+flash
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:51 AM   #7

I don't know that flash, and I hate flash photography but sometimes that is the only way to get a shot. Many of the problems with flash (harsh shadows, red-eye, glare) can be reduced by bouncing and/or diffusing the light. Since bouncing and diffusing reduce the amount of light reaching the subject from the flash, more power is needed.

So if you are shopping for a flash, power (normally measured in guide number) is the key item. Being able to tilt so you can bounce is next.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:04 AM   #8

neilin wrote:
Quote:
KCan,

Would you, please give more detail as to how the optic fiber is mounted, and where would I obtain the optic fiber? Thanks!
Hi neilin,

The optical fiber can be mounted in anyway you wish : glue, duck tape, scotch tape, silicone, ziplok, etc …
There is no need really to optically isolate the 2 ends, unless you don't want other's flash to influence your slave (party, etc…), The goal is just to let the slave sensor see the on board flash burst.
My optical fiber is an extension accessory of my flashlight; you can get a fiber at some electronic store; Better, get some kind of cheap decoration light , and you will get hundreds of 1-2 feet optical fibers

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:29 PM   #9

Thanks BillDrew for the advice!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:30 PM   #10

KCan, thanks for the reply and drawing!