Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Camera Lenses

I am SO new to photography, digital being my least knoweldgeable area.

We have purchased 3 types of lenses for my digcamera. Not even sure about using them.

Anyway, I read online somewhere that I should keep a lense on my camera at all times to avoid scratching the camera's lense. It really makes sense. What lense is good to keep on all the time?

Is there a book that I can read about the different uses of the lenses and which is best for what? I really want to get full use out of my camera.

Thanks again,
Carla in MI
Carla in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:32 AM   #2

I use a UV filter and I think it's generally accepted as a solution for always-on lens protection. You can read about different Hoya filters at their web site.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 5:46 PM   #3

Default Re: Camera Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla in MI
We have purchased 3 types of lenses for my digcamera. Not even sure about using them.
Anyway, I read online somewhere that I should keep a lense on my camera at all times to avoid scratching the camera's lense. It really makes sense. What lense is good to keep on all the time?
From your description, I guess what you meant was "filters" rather than "lenses." There are two schools of thought regarding the use of filters. One school believes that one should always keep a filter on the camera for protection purpose. As a result, people who believe in this thought always add a filter (e.g., UV) on each lens. The other school insists that adding any glass on a lens will more or less compromise the optical quality of the lens. Consequently, as long as it is not absolutely necessary, they do not use any filter, even for protection purpose. Of course, one must handle lens more carefully.

If you believe in the first school, the most widely used filter is the UV filter.

Quote:
Is there a book that I can read about the different uses of the lenses and which is best for what? I really want to get full use out of my camera.
Most books about filters are for film camera. For digital cameras, one do not need many because color compensation and color correction filters can be replaced by in-camera white balance and image editing with a software (e.g., PSP, Photoshop and Elements). In general, a digital photographer usually need a polarizer, two or more neutral density (ND) and gradual ND filters. The "Filters" pages of my Coolpix 4500 user guide may serve as the starting point, although I have not updated for years.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:27 PM   #4

i like to use a uv filter
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:07 AM   #5

Default Re: Camera Lenses

Quote:
I should keep a lense on my camera at all times to avoid scratching the camera's lense.
You don't say what camera you have. If it's one that extends the lens forwards whenever you power it up, you may find it difficult to protect the lens with an extra UV filter. I'd like to do this for my digicam as I did for all my 35mm film cameras and lenses, but I haven't yet found a good solution.

If you have an upmarket SLR-type digicam with interchangeable lenses, it's an excellent idea to fit a thin screw-on UV filter as protection, if you can find one with the right thread for each lens that you use regularly.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 2:23 AM   #6

I assume that you are talking about your olympus and your casio cameras as far as the lens extending foward. I am not specifically farmiliar with those cameras but there are adapters for many cameras (basically a tube) that extends beyond the lens assembly, for attaching filters and lenses.
Perhaps something like this will work for your olympus
http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendalens/cla1/
And perhaps something like this will work with the casio
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...y-rt52475.html
I just did a quick web search so I am not sure if these are the best adapters or the best places to buy them. Several digital cameras are designed to take these adapters. There are adapters that are made to work with cameras that were not originally designed to take a lens adapter too. these adapters use filter threads. Lenses for digital (non-slr) cameras, be it teleconverters, wide angle lenses or filters use standard filter threads, so they can take the same filters that you would use with an slr lens (assuming it is the right size or you can use a step ring).
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh
there are adapters for many cameras (basically a tube) that extends beyond the lens assembly, for attaching filters and lenses.
Yes, but if one of these is fitted, the overall 'footprint' of the camera is enormously increased, and it won't fit in its case any more. If you screw it on every time, the whole object of protecting the prime lens at all times is defeated.

The solution, which I tried out unsuccessfully on my local camera shop, is push-on filter holders, which I used for many years on my first few cameras. These would sit permanently on the extending tube, and not screw into the fixed surround like an extension tube. I'm told they don't exist any more, and anyway you can't buy the plain glass UV filteer to go in it. I own several of these holders, but none of them fit my digicam.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote