other 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:25 PM   #1

Default what brand do you prefer

what do you like best
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:08 PM   #2

I prefer the camera brand that fits my needs at the time. If those needs change then so might the next brand I purchase.

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:21 PM   #3

I chose Canon for the same reason I bought one, I think the provide the most bang for the buck and, they're a reputable camera manufacturer.
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 1:05 AM   #4

Well, I have only owned and still do only 2 digital cameras... a Kyocera S3 and an Olympus c750uz. Since my actualy experience is somewhat limited I can only offer a limited view. However, from my experiences and complete satisfaction thus far with the 750uz I will always hold Oly's offerings on my short list in the future when it comes time to purchase or recommending a new camera.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 11:55 PM   #5

I chose canon for the same reasons as mkoso and also because canon seems to have cameras to fit every use. Ranging from ultracompacts to affordable slrs canon covers pretty much the full spectrum of digicams. Finally, the thing that puts canon over the top for me is the inclusion of a lowlight assist on pretty much every digicam they make. I mean who wants to dish out several hundred for a camera that can't focus indoors?
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 6:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruvs
I prefer the camera brand that fits my needs at the time. If those needs change then so might the next brand I purchase.
Have to agree with that 100%! I use an Olympus C-700 now, but when it comes to technology Olympus is currently behind in the ultrazoom race...I'd like to stay with Oly, but if they haven't caught up by the time I'm ready to buy, bye bye Oly and hello to another brand.

I think brand loyalty has gone out the window, especially since many previously local products are made in countries where quality is much lower.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:59 PM   #7

In the [good | bad] old days of film cameras, the hot advice was to choose a camera from a company with a reputation for optical superiority; Leica, Nikon/Nikkor, Canon, etc. because the camera was a system comprised of 75-80% lens and 25-20% mechanical elements.

The digicam is a different beast. It is more like a 50% lens, 50% micro-electronic system. So, the best choice of manufacturer of a digicam may not be the maker with the best optical know-how, but rather from a maker with electronic savvy. A lot of traditionalists pooh-pooh Sony because they are not one of the recognized old line camera makers. But the balance scale tilts when Sony can buy Carl Zeiss optical technology and marry it with their micro-electronics capability.

So you have to continually question whether it is easier for an optical company to buy electronic technology or for an electronic company to buy optical technology.

<as an aside, the company that I work for supplies electro-optical systems to civilian and military markets. We used to have world-class optical design and manufacturing capability in-house--we now outsource the optical components and focus almost all of our efforts on the electronics.>

Some people that I know say that optics are limited by physics, but that electronics are limited only by the imagination of the marketplace.

...just an observation.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:22 PM   #8

The thing I've found with many digital cameras that have come from standard camera companies is the digital counterparts have been made by people who have never used a proper camera.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:50 PM   #9

Mike_

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I suspect that these cameras have been designed by the marketing department(s) rather than the engineering department(s).

Mega-pixels, doohickies, and dingleberries seem to sell more product than the less tangible, but truly important qualities such as wieght distribution/balance, placement of controls, reaction time, manual focus ease (I greatly miss the micro prism/ diagonal split prism focusing screens found on my old Nikon F- bodied cameras), and the like.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 1:23 PM   #10

Definitely CANON, although I'd like to pick SONY as second. I have been lucky enough to handle one of those Sony 3.30MP %x OptZoom cams and I was awed by its durability...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote