Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:11 AM   #1

Hi

Im a newbie and this is my first post. Ive owned a camera for many years and had varying successes. My last a 500 EOS which was pretty good and before that and old and very heavy Practica. Both of these produced some very good pictures (most of the time). I forced myself into the digital age last year when I bought an s9500 (my friend had one and had produced many magnificent photos).

The intervening months have been a frustrated journey to and through my incompetence level !! Most of the photos are very poor.

I use the camera on AUTO since most of my photograpy is spontaneous although the event may be planned (Christmas 'get-together'/Christening/Holidays).

Some of the pics are pretty good - very sharp, but most (particularly the indoor ones) are blurred/out of focus and the dreaded "White' hand shake" symbol (I thought is was suppose to be red!!) is visible or just around the corner waiting to make an appearance.

What am I doing wrong?? Or have I bought the wrong camera for spontaneous shots................. ??

Help PLEASE.

jon letemps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2

Post a couple of example pics, jon. Maybe one of us can figure out what's wrong.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:40 AM   #3

Hi

Sorry don't retain poor quality photos. But in the meantime Ive had some suggestions from other sources which indicate that I have 2 problems. 1 Indoor photography using the flash (I think Im expecting too much with respect to distant objects) 2. Not using camera correctly for outdoor shots, so Ive adjusted some settings on the camera and an going to experiment over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:58 AM   #4

jon,

The flash on your camera is only good for about 18 feet, and that's probably at a relatively high ISO setting (which would result in grain). Lowering the ISO will remove the grain, but shorten your flash distance. Your camera will probably perform better on the 'P' setting rather than Auto.

It's kinda tough trying to solve your problems when I don't really know what they are...show me the pics. That's the nice thing about digital photography...you can keep a pic for as long as you like, and erase it when you want - doesn't cost you anything.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:08 AM   #5

Hi Hun

As I said Ive dumped all the bad pics. Once Ive put them though Photoshop Pro, twiddled with them and theyre still poor, I get rid...........!

Thanks for your concern and time.. If and when I take some 'stunning photos'

Ill let you know

Cheers