Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:02 PM   #21

TCav wrote:
Quote:
emes wrote:
Quote:
...very often manual focus is the fastest!
Unfortunately,focusing screens don't have the focusing tools (microprisms, split-images, etc.) that were popular in the days of manual focus.

And acurate manual focus on an EVF is near impossible.

So, while manual focus may be faster, it's a lot less accurate.
Thats why I changed my screen, and in doing so discovered my autofocus is less accurite. I had been getting some images that I thought looked a little soft. But after changing focus screens I realized the cameras autofocus was slightly off. When the image is in focus according to the split image rangefinder the focus conformation light is not on but blinking. And when I use auto focus the split image is just slightly off. The resalting images conferm the slipt image is the correct one. Now have to wonder why. Is it

A: something is wrong with my camera

B: something is wrong with my lens

C: a design flaw of the camera or lens model

D:autofocus isn't all it's cracked up to be
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:40 PM   #22

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
emes wrote:
Quote:
...very often manual focus is the fastest!
Unfortunately,focusing screens don't have the focusing tools (microprisms, split-images, etc.) that were popular in the days of manual focus.

And acurate manual focus on an EVF is near impossible.

So, while manual focus may be faster, it's a lot less accurate.
Thats why I changed my screen, and in doing so discovered my autofocus is less accurite. I had been getting some images that I thought looked a little soft. But after changing focus screens I realized the cameras autofocus was slightly off. When the image is in focus according to the split image rangefinder the focus conformation light is not on but blinking. And when I use auto focus the split image is just slightly off. The resalting images conferm the slipt image is the correct one. Now have to wonder why. Is it

I vote for A. It should be a simple matter, but should only be done by a qualified technician. If your camera is still under warranty, it should be covered.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:44 PM   #23

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:

Hi tjs,

Since your autofocus problem cropped up after you installed the focus screen, I tend to think the screen, or it's installation,is causing the problem. What focus screen do you have? If I were you, I'd go back to the original screen to verify the camera is correctly autofocusing. That will eliminate the camera as an issue.

I would also eliminate the lens as an issue if it autofocused OK before the screen change. It could be an issue with the combination of the screen and lens, though.

Again, I would doubt it's a design flaw of the camera or lens if they correctly autofocused before the screen change.

I just installed a Katz Eye focus screen. In the documentation it mentioned focus issues and a shim that came in the kit. Basically it said that autofocus shouldn't be an issue. The shim was for manual focus problems. So this is the opposite of the issue you are experiencing. BTW, my Katz Eye works equally well in manual and auto focus, and asthe camera and lensesdid before the screen change.

So I tend to think it's either a problem with the screen itself, a problem with the combination of lens and screenor a problem with the installation of the screen.

Good luck. I hope you get this problem resolved.

Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:34 PM   #24

TCav

I bought the camera uses so no warranty. And the last time I looked into a repair they wanted $200 just to look at my FM and see why the meter only came on some of the time. Who's know how much to actually fix it.

Erutcip

The problem did not crop up after I installed the focus screen. I had noticed some of my images looked soft before. But I though it was something I was doing as I have never had autofocus before. And it didn't seem to be every image. Obviously more testing is needed.

The screen is a cheapo I bought off of ebay, no way I could afford the Katz Eye screen's right now but I wanted something sense I only own one AF lens but several MF ones and I find it hard to focus on the screen that came with the camera.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote