Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:07 PM   #11

The Hun,

Yes, you're right, it was a "buy it now" transaction.

No, I wasn't expecting to get screwed.

The lens is not grey market, the battery is a genuine Nikon battery, and not the one that was recalled either.

Overall, I am actually fairly happy withwhat I received. It was the horrible process and the appalling customer service that I want to caution people about.

I did end up getting a valid warranty through a company called repairtech. So if any problems arise, it would be covered through them (you can drop the camera off at a variety of places, the closest of which happens to be a Best Buy, I would not send it back to time2envy).

Furthermore, you are right, I am using this forum as a retaliatory tool because there is no room to explain yourself on ebay. That's what is great about the internet, that it gives us all a place to share our experiences, and it is still my hope that a few people will read this and choose to spend their money somewhere besides time2envy.

Lastly, time2envy managed to take one more shot at me saying that I "blackmailed them to ship the warranty". The same warranty they agreed to send me because of the USA model mix-up.

So, I can promise that all of the information that I posted here is true. What you all do with this information is your business, but I hope that you consider my words.

Best Wishes

sbauhan
sbauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:31 PM   #12

" The lens is not grey market, the battery is a genuine Nikon battery..."

How do you know? Did you receive a Nikon warranty card with the lens? Have you attempted to register the lens with Nikon? Would you know a counterfeit battery from a genuine one?

" I did end up getting a valid warranty through a company called repairtech."

That's not Repair Tech, Inc., located on Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn, is it? You can't make this stuff up...

"Overall, I am actually fairly happy withwhat I received."

I'm glad your happy. That's all that matters. I just can't believe you're letting them get away with their scam. And what happens when your camera craps out in a couple of weeks, and you take it to your local BestBuy, and they tell you that you have no warranty registered with Repair Tech? Or Repair Tech says you must have dropped the camera, thereby voiding the warranty? What are you going to do then - pay Repair Tech $700-$800 to fix your brand new camera?

You shouldn't be happy - you should be calling a cop - you were robbed - they stole your money!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:27 PM   #13

Cant you call Nikon (or Canon) and give them the serial number of the item and have them check if the camera, lense, etc are authentic?

I think the reason time2envy sells these cameras without the original warranty is because thats how they get them so cheap. If I was you, sbauhan, I would call Nikon and check to see if the item is authentic. If not, open up a dispute through paypal and you should get your money back.
Tykimeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 2:36 PM   #14

The Hun seems to be making a lot of assumptions. I agree with Ty. If you think you got scammed, check your product out. Simple.

If Time2envy were that horrible of a seller, I doubt that it's eBay feedback would be over 99%, especially given the number of buyers who have won their auctions or opted to "buy it now."

I'll be honest: I've just had a problem with a Panasonic HVX200 that I bought through them. I'll wait to see how it's resolved. Certainly, I'm going to check this out with Panasonic, with whom I have a warranty (as a note.) At the same time, I'm not going to take fear mongering at face value.

Hell... ANYONE could be posting to this board.
hb_scone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 6:11 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum, hb.

Interesting first post here, but I'm not sure I follow everything you said. For example, when you say, "The Hun seems to be making a lot of assumptions.", what did you mean by that? Could you list 10 or 12 assumptions I made in this thread? Is that a lot? OK, how about 5? Or 3?

"At the same time, I'm not going to take fear mongering at face value."

" Hell... ANYONE could be posting to this board."

You totally lost me with those two...fear mongering? ANYONE could be posting?

Regarding your statement, "If Time2envy were that horrible of a seller, I doubt that it's eBay feedback would be over 99%, especially given the number of buyers who have won their auctions or opted to "buy it now."", I'll give you my opinion...

The majority of ebay buyers give feedback as soon as their item arrives on their doorstep. They leave comments such as, "item as listed, delivered on time". This only gives the seller credit for delivering items which at least appear to be 'as advertised'. If an item self-destructs after a short period of time, say 3 months, do any of these ebay buyers go back and give the seller negative feedback? Can they? Is that allowed by ebay? And 1% of 100,000 is 1,000...would you like to be one of the 1,000 dissatisfied customers? And who can believe all of those positive feedbacks anyway? Anyone can leave positive feedback.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 9:19 AM   #16

Tykimeister wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you just do a charge back on your credit card and send all the products back with delivery confirmation? This is what I plan to do if my Canon 40D isn't a US model. I ordered from time2envy a little over a week ago and should get my camera tomorrow.
Thanks,

Ty
TY,

Any update on this did you get the camera?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 9:23 PM   #17

I got my camera. I was supposed to take less than 4 days to get to me but it took over a week. I'm guessing that since I live in Montana and it would cost more to air mail it that far from NY, they just shipped it ground.

But I did get it, without the US Warranty card. I never looked into it that much, but I'm very sure its a grey market camera. Still an authentic Canon 40D, however, a model that was intended for China, Austrailia, the US, etc. A grey market camera.

This is a very good youtube video that explains it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEvLhJr84Ks

But the camera works great. I really like it even though I know it's not what I thought it was when I bought it. Now I just have to hope it dont break since the waranty Time2envy gives you is pretty much worthless. What they do is have you send the camera back to Time2envy, they send it back to the country it was intended for and have it repaired there. Probably takes forever and who knows if they will even fix it. From what I understand, authorized Canon dealers can't repair grey market cameras.

Ty
Tykimeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:08 PM   #18

I just received a package from Time2Envy.

I bought a D300 with an 18-200 VR Nikon lens and a bunch of other stuff:
large tripod, tabletop tripod, hard case, soft case, 4Gb CF card, UV filter, card reader, lens pouch, lens cleaning kit, lens cap keeper.

First of all, two weeks ago after I first bought it they were trying to upsell me hard, on insurance, warranty faster memory card alternate shipping - I live in Canada - UPS charges ridiculous 'brokerage fees' over the border, so they were offering USPS, which is an 8 dollar flat brokerage fee. They wanted 400 dollars for all this. I basically told them to ship it as I bought it on ebay, then hung up on them.

They actually shipped it FedEX, not UPS, as the item states.
I just received the package and really it is unfortunate they are closed right now or I would be yelling at them.

Disrepancies between what I bought and what I received incude:
- they gave me a 18-55 VR lens instead of an 18-200 VR lens I bought (THAT'S A $580 CHEAPER LENS!!!)
- no lens pouch, no tabletop tripod, no lens cap keeper
- they included some ultra cheap Bell + Howell BF35 35mm film manual wind camera.(WTF do I need this for if I bought a D300????) This is the cheapest film camera I have seen in my life, too.

The D300 body is Japanese as well, which I don't really care about - i am hopeful (and pretty sure) this won't break within the warranty if I take care of it.
In any case I will be calling them tomorrow to unload on them as soon as they open up.

boothash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:09 PM   #19

I just received a package from Time2Envy.

I bought a D300 with an 18-200 VR Nikon lens and a bunch of other stuff:
large tripod, tabletop tripod, hard case, soft case, 4Gb CF card, UV filter, card reader, lens pouch, lens cleaning kit, lens cap keeper.

First of all, two weeks ago after I first bought it they were trying to upsell me hard, on insurance, warranty faster memory card alternate shipping - I live in Canada - UPS charges ridiculous 'brokerage fees' over the border, so they were offering USPS, which is an 8 dollar flat brokerage fee. They wanted 400 dollars for all this. I basically told them to ship it as I bought it on ebay, then hung up on them.

They actually shipped it FedEX, not UPS, as the item states.
I just received the package and really it is unfortunate they are closed right now or I would be yelling at them.

Disrepancies between what I bought and what I received incude:
- they gave me a 18-55 VR lens instead of an 18-200 VR lens I bought (THAT'S A $580 CHEAPER LENS!!!)
- no lens pouch, no tabletop tripod, no lens cap keeper
- they included some ultra cheap Bell + Howell BF35 35mm film manual wind camera.(WTF do I need this for if I bought a D300????) This is the cheapest film camera I have seen in my life, too.

The D300 body is Japanese as well, which I don't really care about - i am hopeful (and pretty sure) this won't break within the warranty if I take care of it.
In any case I will be calling them tomorrow to unload on them as soon as they open up.

boothash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:43 AM   #20
Administrator

boothash wrote:
Quote:
If it's gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S., and Nikon USA will know by the serial number), Nikon USA will usually refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay for the service.

Nikon Canada has the same policy (they will refuse to service a Nikon camera unless it was intended for sale in Canada and purchased through an authorized Nikon Canada dealer, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote