Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:42 AM   #1

what is the best way to get maximum exif data on my photos, including sharpness, saturation etc.
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:46 AM   #2

doto41 wrote:
Quote:
what is the best way to get maximum exif data on my photos, including sharpness, saturation etc.
Exif data is written automatically by the camera. In camera, there is nothing you can do to add extra info. The camera writes what it is programmed to write. You can edit and add additional exif data with photoshop, or with some of the freeware programs, such as Irfanview.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:23 AM   #3

doto41 wrote:
Quote:
As rjseeney said, the camera writes the EXIF data, and you can't have the camera add to or subtract from that. The camera writes what the manufacturer has programmed it to write, and that may or may not include the camera specific settings you've mentioned. Since each manufacturer may use the MakerNotetag(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXIF) any way it wants, only the application that came with your camera can display that information, and chances are it won't.

So the information you are interested in, may or may not already be there. If it isn't, there's nothing you can do about it, and if it is, you probably wouldn't be able to see it anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:09 AM   #4

rjseeney & TCav are mostly right: what you have for EXIF is what you get without possible add-ons to the camera. Some cameras allow GPS to plug into the camera and add to the EXIF data - though those tend to be the high end units.

As important, are you getting everything possible out of the EXIF data? Sometimes the generic EXIF viewers do not show the somewhat exotic EXIF data your camera saves. Perhaps things like focus distance, flash strength, mode setting, moon phase, ... The best place to investigate that is in the forum for your specific camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:27 AM   #5

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes the generic EXIF viewers do not show the somewhat exotic EXIF data your camera saves. Perhaps things like focus distance, flash strength, mode setting, moon phase, ...
MOON PHASE?!?!?! :-)

Why not astrological transits? :twisted:
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:58 PM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Why not astrological transits? :twisted:
Could be done easily enough: the camera contains a clock, a pretty good processor, and it would be trivial to add enough memory to hold an ephemeris. Given the current antiscience program in this country, it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if someone did just that.

I can even see the advertisement: "Get a better photo by finding the best time to shoot."

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:05 PM   #7

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I can even see the advertisement: "Get a better photo by finding the best time to shoot."
:-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-)
:lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol:
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:15 PM   #8

doto41 wrote:
Quote:
As mentioned, your camera writes the Exif. Data can, however be modified with programs such as Exifer. I have found that PhotoME shows much more information than others, and can be used with RAW files as well. It allows me to add lens information from manual lenses which my camera doesn't read. Also shows battery condition (if you know how to interpret it) as well as number of shutter operations.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:20 AM   #9

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
... Also shows battery condition (if you know how to interpret it) as well as number of shutter operations.
... if your camera writes that information. Some do and some don't.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:51 AM   #10

Only one of my graphics packages retains the Exif data.

That is - if I edit a photo in serif Photo 8 - the exif data is then gone

I view and do quick minor edits in Dimage viewer - that shows me my Exif data - but photos edited in other programs then have no data. Really I need a better editing program that also retains the Exif data
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote