Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2002, 3:02 AM   #1

Default Options for CF card download w/win95?

I've broken my real computer. Now I'm on a spare. I have a Powershot s200, but it isn't compatible with Win95. Anyone found a way around that? Are there any other options for downloading my cards to my comp. Any additional equipment? Bought a Lexar reader, but forgot why I needed it. Didn't check at the time, but it's incompatible too.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2002, 6:18 PM   #2

win 95 has "0" support for usb. if you can find an old parallel reader with software you can suffer through very long downloads.
http://www.microtechint.com/qs-cmate.html
here is a parallel reader
http://www.d-store.com/Merchant/merc...ory_Code=MTDPA

there are other more involved options too

[Edited on 7-26-2002 by sjms]

[Edited on 7-26-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:19 PM   #3

Default win 95

Well windows 95 does have support for USB but it was only on the very last version of Win 95 which i do have a copy of it. It even says when you see the boot up screen WIN 95 with USB support. I bought a computer back in March of 98 from Dell and it came with that version of windows 95, and that computer did have usb ports which did work. An old Pentium 2 350 megahertz. long since retired computer but still do have the win 95 CD, could burn you a copy of it if you want? Not 100 percent sure it would work plus you would have to reinstall everything on your back up computer.

Am asumming you do have usb ports on motherboard? If not i think you out of luck for my idea.

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by dc9mm]

Or you could upgrade to win 98 with win98 upgrade disk (upgrades win95 to win 98), i have that also.

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by dc9mm]
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:58 AM   #4

how ethical of you. but i won't persue that point since MS no longer supports Win95.

you'll find the support as an add on was limited at best. but you are correct . my statement was partial incorrect. it was available as an add on usb vers 1.0. it was a bit spotty but it did work depending on the chipset used. if it does have pci slots it can have usb 1.1 support for about $20. it's up to you if you want to try it. it's shakey and no promise that it will work at all. i'm in doubt about win 95 drivers for it it must be rev b win95

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/archi...S/usbwin98.asp

refer to this document about win95 support for usb. it was available oem versions only on a limited basis

Quote: Note on developing USB devices for Windows 95. Windows 95 drivers for USB (OSR 2.1) are currently available only on OEM platforms. If you want to develop USB devices for Windows 95, it is possible that your current platform may already have the drivers you want. To find out if it does, go to http://www.usb.org and use the USB evaluation utility. If it doesn't, your only option is to purchase an OEM platform. For the reasons outlined in this article, however, Microsoft recommends that all IHVs ship only USB devices that have Windows 98/Windows Me drivers and/or Windows 2000/Windows XP drivers

To determine the version that you have on your system, please read below. If you are not sure which version of Windows 95 you have, you can find out simply by checking your System Properties. To do this, right mouse click on "My Computer" and select "Properties." An OEM SR2 system will show a designator, such as "4.00.9500 B" as the version. The number may vary slightly, but the letter designator will be a "B" for the OSR2 version.

it was put in as a stop gap implementation of a new technology then.

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote