Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Casio QV-R40

Hi there. I was wondering if this camera has been used/tested by anybody yet. Seems to have a lot of nice stuff to offer and I'm eagerly awaiting comments on it before I buy a camera. My other choice at this point is the Nikon 3100. I'm wondering how the new Casio stacks up against others of the same category. I don't see a whole lot of comments on Casio's. Is there a reason that they aren't as popular?

Thanks,

Mike
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2003, 5:47 PM   #2
Administrator

It's difficult to say with a brand new camera. It appears to be very similiar to the QV-R4, which did get some reviews.

There are a LOT of new camera hitting the market now, and the reviewers only have some much time.

So, many reviewers tend to get to the more popular cameras first (i.e., ones with more market share, or models with new features getting a lot of interest from perspective buyers). Of course, the manufacturers williningness to send units to be evaluated probably plays a role in which ones get reviewed too.

Be Patient, and I'm sure someone will get to it.

I recently bought a new camera myself -- site unseen -- no reviews. I think I got the first one in the U.S., so I tried to write as detailed of a "user opinion/review" as possible, to help others out looking at the same model.

You can often find user opinions on new models (but take this with a "grain of salt"). Most new users tend to either love, or hate their new cameras, so their reviews tend to be very biased.

dpreview.com has a section for user opinions on their site. Here's an example of my user opinion for my new Konica Revio KD-510z:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=17947

Another good way to check out photos from new models, once they're shipping, is to view user albums on photo sharing web sites like pbase.com. Check out their Camera Database at http://www.pbase.com/cameras to see user albums from most camera models

Here's an example of my pbase album from it:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

Unfortunately, the new Casio QV-R40 is so new, that there are no user opinions on dpreview.com yet, and no sample photo albums on pbase.com yet from this camera.

Be Patient, and some will show up soon.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:14 PM   #3

Hey someone else is fancying the Casio QV-R40!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:44 PM   #4
Administrator

We have posted a QV-R40 review, in case you missed it, it's here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/qvr40.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:43 PM   #5

Hi Steve!

Maybe you could share your opinion and if given the choice, make a slection between the CANON PowerShot A70 and the CASIO QV-R40, which of the two woud you fancy?

Cheers!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:39 PM   #6

Default Sepia or multi-shot available?

I was just wondering if it's possible to shoot in b/w and sepia (like the canon S230) with the QVR-40?

Also, can it take multi-shots? (press once to start taking multiple pictures, press once to stop)

Thanks
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 11:03 AM   #7

Hi,

I just bought a QV-R40 yesterday....if your in the UK dixons have them on sale for 249.99 while they last.

Pic quality - very impressed so far and I have not experimented with anything yet, just turn on, click, view. LCD is very good. Eats non rechargeable AA's - dont use them. Just finished charging the ones that came with it - better than normal AA's but not great, prob coz they need cycling a few times.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:47 PM   #8

See the Forum thread running under "Casio", the thread is also titled "Casio QV R40" or something close to that, and there are some interesting replies. My studies showed that the sharpness is noticeably less detailed than the Sony P72 and there was more Chromatic aberration than with the A-70. Overall the diferences my be negligible as the Casio is a 4Mp and the other two are 3Mp. I would guess that the Canon 400S outperforms them both, slightly, but it costs more. The A80 might be better than the Casio, hard to say right now since there are no reports.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:21 AM   #9

Oh, I ought to stress that as the Casio is my first Digital camera I wanted a combination of ease of use / features / quality. The picture quality I am still very impressed with, the ease of use is amazing. I have handed it to many friends without any instructions and they have taken a very good photo within seconds. And the quality is very good. Its a robust camera. However - although this is a great first camera I don't think it would make such a great second or third one.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote