Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1

I need some advice from those who have flown recently. I have to fly to wedding in mid march in which I am the offical photographer (family wedding). I need to know about the new so called battery rules. Can I or can't i carry a large number of rechargeable Ni-MH (nickle metal hydride type batteries) in my carry-on camera bag or am I limited to 2 sets...... I have heard it both ways and need to know and the info at TSA.gov is comfusing.

I'd like to be able to carry a set in my flash, set in my camera and 4 spare sets. However I can't afford to find out at the airport that I can't take more than 2 sets. one thing I was thinking I may have to do is ship the batteries via mail ahead to the wedding site and then have them shipped back to me again. However that will cost money and don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

I want to have as much battery power with me as the entire event is spread over an 8 to 9 hour period.

Any and all advice appreciated. Also anyone who recently traveled withyour digital camera let me know how many sets of batteries you took and if TSA said anything. O know the last time I traveled I told a wolverine device with me and they made me remove it from the camera bag and then rescaned the camera bag....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

No official advice form me, but I have just been to Egypt and on the way out of London to Egypt I had not problems, but on the way back Egyptian security made me put all my batteries not installed in equipment into my checked luggage. So if you have a lot of spares then put them in your checked luggage and you should be fine (from my experience).

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice

dave
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4

I've heard about this on the news also. I just looked on the TSA web site http://www.tsa.gov/and could not find anything. You can contact the TSA throught their web site for more info.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5

My understanding was that the restrictions were on loose lithium ion batteries, not NiMH. Has this changed?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:36 AM   #6

No Loose LiIon batteries may be placed into checked luggage. If a battery is installed in a piece of electronics, it may be in checked luggage, but not loose.

As for what you can take in carryon...

If the battery is large (100W Hrs) or larger, you are limited to two (or maybe a total of 100W Hrs). This is really only going to effect the pro's with large rechargeable battery units (think battery packs for monolights) or pro ENG type video cameras.

But for the smaller LiIon batteries most of use use in our camcorders and digicams, there is no real limit.

I just travelled from Orlando to Bangkok and had in my carryon a total of 6 LiIon loose batteries, plus additional batteries installed in some camera gear. No problems with TSA.

None of this applies to NiMH.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:58 PM   #7

Just got back from a trip - ISP/MCO/ISP, with 12 NiMH batteries in my carry on bag - no problem. I've carried more on trips taken in 2007 without issue.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:22 AM   #8

thanks for the info. Looks like I will be in the clear.

dave
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:35 AM   #9

Here's what the TSA has to say: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

And here's what the FAA has to say: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Note the FAA states:
[*]You may not pack a spare lithium battery in your checked baggage [/*][*]You may pack spare lithium batteries in carry-on baggage – see our spare battery tips and how-to sections to find out how to pack spare batteries safely! [/*]
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:44 PM   #10

I'm an airline pilot.... You can pack so many your back hurts if that's what you feel like doing. You have to carry them on you since batteries can get "thermal runaway" and start melting. It's a safety issue not really a security issue. They don't want garments etc. to catch fire. Just be able to open your bag and show the TSA if they ask. In other words don't hide them in the bottom of your bag where you have to dig through your undies!
ToiletDuck is offline   Reply With Quote