Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:14 PM   #11

Hello all!

In a similar tone to his (Artashes') problem, I too am having trouble finding the right Digital Camera, but unlike him, I only have up to $300 to spare . In an earlier thread, I asked between the Canon Powershot A60 and the Casio QV-R40, yet no one seems to have taken the time to jot a quick note.

I hope someone can help me here. :lol:

Cheers!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 4:08 PM   #12

Darkthrone, I think the point for Casio QV-R40 is that it is more responsive than any Canon pro/consumer. (as today on market)
If you prefer a quick reaction camera, maybe a Fuji or Konica would also be close to your needs.

The point for Canon is color of image (very personal opinion) and maybe able to write raw files (lossless image capture).
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:54 PM   #13

You cannot do raw with the a60/70 but the jpeg is decent if you use least compression. The bigest advantage of the a60/70 are the capabilities and features of it. You will hard pressed to find another camera with its capabilities for the money. It has full exposure control, full white ballance control and manual focus to name a few. It also works pretty well in it's more automatic modes so a new user can start taking pictures right away and have a camera they can grow into. It is missing a few features like a hot shoe, swivel lcd etc. but how many cameras comparible in price have them?
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:57 AM   #14

I see...

Basically, the noteworthy features that seperate the two are:

Casio QV-R40
4 Megapixel
Includes 2 2100mAh NiMH and charger
1 second startup
0.1 second shutter lag

Canon PowerShot A60
2 Megapixel
Wide range of Manual Controls
DiGIC image processor

And that is what I am having trouble with. But, from your responses, I think the A60 still is the better choice. You guys are right, for the same price, you can't find anything like it elsewhere.

I'm still open for any more comments up til the day I purchase of either of the two. Thanks a lot guys!

Cheers!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote