Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:25 PM   #1

Default Memory stick question

Hi

I have just bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-U30 digital camera and am thinking of buying a new memory stick. Looking around I found the cheapest to be 117.99 for a 64 Mb stick

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co...ticks_284.html

However it is a Sony compatible rather than a acutal Sony. Is there much difference between memory sticks or am I just paying for the Sony name on the more expensive memory stick.

Thanks

Marc
astral83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2003, 8:02 PM   #2

I must admit I've never heard of those brands, but I've never had any problems with the Lexar Memory Sticks I use, so there are cheaper alternatives to Sony that are just as good. Whether it's those cards I guess someone else will have to answer :S
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:44 PM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: Memory stick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral83
Looking around I found the cheapest to be 117.99 for a 64 Mb stick

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co...ticks_284.html
I thought that looked pretty high (117.99). You had an extra 1 in the front. It's 17.99 on the site you gave the link to.

I prefer to buy the Lexar Brand Memory Sticks (licensed by Sony). I recently bought a 128mb x 2 Lexar Memory Stick on sale for $55.00 (US).

It's like two 128mb memory sticks in one (you flip a switch to get the other 128mb).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 6:32 PM   #4

Yeah sorry price is 17.99 not 117.99! Also someone mentioned the larger the memory stick the longer it takes to start up - will this be a problem with a 64Mb card - should I stick to 32?

Marc
astral83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 6:44 PM   #5
Administrator

I seriously doubt that it makes any difference.

I'd buy the largest one you can afford, so that you can take more photos before the need to download them to a PC (or swap memory sticks when one is full).

Also, you usually get more "bang for the buck" (more megabytes/dollar) with larger media.

I bought a Lexar 128mb x 2 Memory Stick for my new Konica KD-510z camera. It worked out to be less expensive than buying two separate 128mb Memory Sticks. My camera only supports the original Memory Stick format (not the new Memory Stick Pro), and I wanted the most memory for my dollar.

If I'm not mistaken, your camera is limited to the original Memory Stick limit of 128mb, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 9:23 PM   #6

I have Sandisk and Lexar sticks. Both are cheaper than the ones with the Sony badge. No problems with either brand.

The U20 is noticably slower with the 64M sticks than the 8M stick that came with it, so I suspect that 128M would be even slower.

I haven't been motivated to buy a 128M stick because each 64M will hold more than 125 full rez shots, and you have to change the batteries by then anyway, I figure I might just as well change the memory card too.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote