Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:27 PM   #1

Hi Guys

I keep hearing that the buttom line in image quality and noise reduction is "sensor size".

Is there a sorted list of non-SLR cameras by the sensor size?

Which non-SLR has the largest sensor?

Is 1/1.8 tha largest sensor size in non-SLRs?

I have an eye on Nikon P5100 as an upgradefrom my present Canon A710IS but want to make sure that it has the largest sensor (best quality) in the non-SLR category.

Thanks for you help

Anour
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:06 PM   #2

Image quality in a digicam is a result of a combination of sensor size, sensor type, # MP's, lens quality, and processor. Any one of those factors can screw things up from a quality standpoint.

Off the top of my head, there's a couple of P&S cams that have the same size sensor, and a couple that are larger...Canon G9 = 1/1.7", A650 = 1/1.7"; Fuji S9100 = 1/1.6". The new (to be released this month) Fuji s100fs has a 2/3" sensor, which I believe is the largest in a current model.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:22 PM   #3

'more noise" is really a relative term when speaking ablut point and shoot digicams. As the Hun said, there is more to it than just sensor size, and really the difference in sizes are very small and although not insignificant, none is big enough to make much of a difference. Almost all the cameras do well at Iso's under 200 (good enough for acceptable prints at normal print sizes), most are iffy at 400, and really you can only use 800 and 1600 in a pinch. The difference between a 1/1.8 and 1/1.25 is not going to make a huge difference. Larger sensor does't always result in better quality.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:20 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments (yours and the Hun). Looks like I cannot get much better than 1/1.7in the non-dslr category.

Considering other factors that you mentioned would affect image quality, would Nikon p5100 be the best upgrade to my Canon A710 IS if I want to stay in the pocket-size camera's with the "grip" that is a standard feature of the Canon A- series?

Regards

Anour
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote