Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:53 PM   #1

I own a Canon Mark III. It's my second. The first was stolen out of my car, along with my 40-D and the thousands of dollars worth of lenses and flashes attached to them.

But that isn't the point for this subject. I am trying to work with Raw Images in Photoshop CS3 Extended. I don't normally work in Raw but decided to really study further into the art. The thing is, I can't get any kind of Raw Image to open in Photoshop CS3 Extended. I went to the help selction, and did exactly as the directions suggested. In fact, there are no options in the File function pointed to in the Help. For instance, I guess under the File function in the Photoshop CS3 Bridge there is supposed to be the option OPEN WITH CAMERA RAW. There isn't. There is nothing wrong with my software. I download my software directly from the Adobe website. Can anyone tell me how I can edit raw images (tiff files on the Mark III) in Photoshop CS3 Extended. Thanks a lot.

Dennis
detff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 8:57 PM   #2
Administrator

Update your Camera Raw plugin to the latest version. You'll see directions on the download page (basically, you just unzip the downloaded file and copy the new Camera Raw.8bi to the correct folder).

Windows:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3822

Mac:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3821

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:21 PM   #3

what folder is that?...lol
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:43 PM   #4
Administrator

The one mentioned in the directions on the download page. ;-)

It's this one if you're running Windows::

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5

well I'm sorry, there is something wrong. I went to the folder you suggested and it's already in there, and yet it still isn't opening my RAW files. Maybe I should just sitck to large JPEG's. I heard RAW is over-rated anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Administrator

You're seeing the plugin that came with CS3.

Updates are made to this Camera Raw plugin periodically to support newer camera models. You replace the one you have with the newer version, as mentioned in the installation directions on the download pages I posted links to above.

RAW files are different between camera models, and you need to have a plugin that's new enough to know how to process the files from your camera (and the Mark III wasn't supported until Camera Raw version 4.1).

The latest Camera Raw version that works with CS3 is Camera Raw 4.3.1 (downloadable from the links I posted above). Install it and you should be able to open your raw files.

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:32 AM   #7

Well, Jim, thanks a lot. Really. You are the best. You would think that finding that out would have been a lot simplier in this day and age, but I guess not. I had been struggling with this little detail for weeks, because someone said that shooting in RAW was really the only way to go, and I had never shot in RAW before.

Thanks so much for help. Yes, my RAW images are opening. You are great. And for the record, I have made this site one of my homepage tabs...

Thanks Again.