Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:40 PM   #1

Hey there:

Anyone have a recommendation on software that could remove specs from images that were shot from a dirty sensor? I've since cleaned the sensor but the shots taken before that are full of many annoying specs. I have reviewed the Noise Ninja and Nik software websites and they mostly speak about noise reduction produced from low ISO settings. Would these do the trick? Loads of thanks for your help. Dan.
Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:01 PM   #2

Take a look at the clone tool in your editor. If you don't have one, this is the time to think about getting a better editor.

For specifics, take a look at retouching forums. The issue is much the same as removing a wart from your Aunt Ethel's nose.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:21 PM   #3

As Bill says, the clone too is used most often for this. PS also has a healing brush which works well on places where the specs show up most, such as blue sky. In some cases, you can use scratch removal tool with a large enough radius to cover the speck. Photoimpact, which I use, has a touch-up tool, which clones the pattern of the selected area without changing the color. IOW, many options. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that automate the process for lots of pictures at once.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:15 PM   #4

Check this out:

http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html

Here are a few excerpts from posts from RetouchPRO forums:

"Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Software is a standalone Windows application or Adobe Photoshop® plug-in filter application allowing you to selectively remove dust and scratches from a digital image. This software utility is an easy to use application that detects defects and cleans the image while retaining and preserving the original image integrity. Works on TIFF, JPEG, or BMP..."

"I tried it. It automatically puts itself in the filters menu of any Photoshop ver 5 and up. It gives you alot of control and doesn't blur the image. You can choose light or dark dust and there are several slider controls and a preview window. Best of all, it really works!! It blows Photoshops version of D & S out of the water. It's late now but I will try to post some examples tomorrow. Thanks for the cool link Doug. I can see alot of future use with this filter. It's free guys so it's definately worth the effort to grab it before it no longer is free. I does not work on PSD but it does work on jpg, bmp and tif files so you will have to plan for it and make it your first move before saving in PSD format. But hey, it works, what can I say. "

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:33 PM   #5

Grant;

I have tried this, but had problems with it inadvertently shutting down on me as a stand alone. What I remember of it, though, is it worked better for removing D&S from scanned prints. Sensor dust tends to show up as larger, vague spots, which aren't as susceptible to PDSR, as I recall.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:45 PM   #6

Thank you for the tips. I do use the clone tool regularly, however, after returning from a trip with 150 images shot with a dirty sensor, the clone tool is a little daunting. This gives mean excuse to learn the healing brush. I appreciated your help. Dan.
Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:56 PM   #7

Dan7 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the tips. I do use the clone tool regularly, however, after returning from a trip with 150 images shot with a dirty sensor, the clone tool is a little daunting. This gives mean excuse to learn the healing brush. I appreciated your help. Dan.
The "healing brush" would be for large spots or scratches. for small spots use the "spot healling tool" then you can just click on each spot and poof it's gone. Be sure to use a soft edge otherwise you get a visible circle that you might not even notice at first.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote