Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 15, 2003, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Samsung V3 same as V4 aprt from MP's

Hi I have read the review on your site about the V4, Ihave a V3 and was wondering ifthey are identical apart form the MP?

also does any1 else have a V3/V4? what do they think?

what are Samsung like as a Digi cam?

are there any good web sites for samsung digi cam apart fom the offical samsung sites

any tips/help U can give me, I'm a point and click guy at the mo'

cheers
LOC
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:47 AM   #2

Oh dear have I bought a turkey?!? has no-one got a V3 or V4? or has no one got any comments on them

come on pls ppl
cheers
LOC
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:09 AM   #3

come on "somebody, somewhere must have one of these digi cams" as a famous advert once said?

LOC
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:37 AM   #4

I believe most people here buy cameras from companies that have been doing film cameras for years, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, etc.

I have a Samsung monitor (SyncMaster 957MB) that's been rated one of the best ones on the market and I'm extremely happy with it and would buy another one, but even I wouldn't consider buying a Samsung digital camera because they haven't been in the photography market for long. It's just a personal bias.

I hate to say it since I personally don't like them, but suggest you head over to DPReview.com and see if you get any takers on their forums.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:43 AM   #5

thanks for your comments at least Mike, is it that you don't like them or never tried them?

I only use my digi cam for general purpose. ie of the kids (the main reason I bought a digi cam 3 years ago), taking it on holiday etc.

the reason I upgraded from my Fuji was that it had no optical zoom, no movie mode, and you couldn't display on the TV, and I wanted SD expansion for memory as I have a these cards and a PocketPC.

the samsung gave me all these and there was an offer for a free 64Mb SD card when I bought it (still waiting to get it though), also included was a nice case and 2 years warranty, another big plus I thought.

I didn't look into the logistics of what was best and not photo wise really, what I thought was that it had a Scnieder?? lens supposed to be good? and I thought any 3MP camera nowadays should take good photos

thanks for your comments would there have been any cameras you would have suggested for me?

thx again
LOC
Old Sep 19, 2003, 7:17 AM   #6

Never tried the Samsung camera, and never will. That type of camera, pocket with a separate optical viewfinder, to me is a toy; note that I'm not calling the Samsung specifically "a toy"...many cameras including from standard camera makers like the Canon G5, Fuji F410, Nikon 5400 also fall into that category in my book.

It's the same reason why I'd never use (in film cameras) anything but an SLR. I just don't like using Polaroids, pocket, and disc cameras because I prefer seeing what the camera sees through its main lens, and not offset.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 4:31 PM   #7

Mike,

I don't want to sound brash but are you telling him to scrap the camera just because you don't like the viewfinder???
From what I've read it's a decent little camera similar to many 3mp cameras in that price range.

loc-man,

they look identical on the DCRP. Here's a link where you can check them both out.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 4:46 PM   #8
Administrator

Denys Bouton (managing editor of megapixel.net) did a review of the Samung Digimax V4 in June.

Other than a couple of negatives (slow cycle times, and loss of some settings after being turned off), he seemed quite pleased with the image quality from this camera.

If you go to the reviews menu at http://www.megapixel.net , you can look up the review of the Samsung V4 by manufacturer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoso
I don't want to sound brash but are you telling him to scrap the camera just because you don't like the viewfinder???
From what I've read it's a decent little camera similar to many 3mp cameras in that price range.
I was answering why I *personally* don't like these type of cameras. To many people the issues I have with these type of cameras are a non-issue. To others the fact a camera doesn't use AA batteries is also a non-issue. To others still they think a 10x optical zoom camera is a waste of money because they can't hold it still without a tripod, but personally I've taken many handheld pictures at full zoom. We all have our personal biases, and that's why I never recommend cameras to other people...it would be useless to recommend a camera like the Samsung to me!
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:04 AM   #10

Like I said Mike, I wasn't trying to sound brash but, that's just the way I read it. Especially whe you said to "head over to DPReview.com and see if you get any takers on their forums." I thought you were implying that he tried to unload the camera there but now, after re-reading the post I think you meant, head over there and, check out their opinion, right?
Some times it's hard to read what the real meaning is. Know what I mean?

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote