Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:13 AM   #11

Another element of the transparency vs. negative film debate besides saturation was grain and resolution. In the sixties and seventies slide film had lower grain and higher resolution than negative films. National Geographic used only transparency for that reason.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:44 AM   #12

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Another element of the transparency vs. negative film debate besides saturation was grain and resolution. In the sixties and seventies slide film had lower grain and higher resolution than negative films. National Geographic used only transparency for that reason.
Interesting. Is this still the case with color slide films of today? (e.g. Kodachrome E200, Fuji Velvia 50....etc.).

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:52 AM   #13

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Interesting. Is this still the case with color slide films of today? (e.g. Kodachrome E200, Fuji Velvia 50....etc.).

Don't know. I haven't shot film seriously since the late eighties and not at all since late nineties. I do know that the grain and resolution of color negative film has improved greatly since the seventies. There are also relatively recent reports that when National Geographic photogs do use film it's still transparency although that may be due to an established work flow as much as anything else.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:51 PM   #14

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

Don't know. I haven't shot film seriously since the late eighties and not at all since late nineties. I do know that the grain and resolution of color negative film has improved greatly since the seventies. There are also relatively recent reports that when National Geographic photogs do use film it's still transparency although that may be due to an established work flow as much as anything else.
Why would using transparencies make for a better work flow? Curious... Just because that's how NG has been doing things? Or is there a technical advantage?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:31 PM   #15

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Why would using transparencies make for a better work flow? Curious... Just because that's how NG has been doing things? Or is there a technical advantage?
Just because that's how NG has been doing things.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:39 PM   #16

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Just because that's how NG has been doing things.
I wonder if NG hasn't already changed the way they are doing things. To be working in a totally digital work flow. Maybe I'll Google this later. Thanks for the information!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:05 PM   #17

I have to add my two cents

The reason Pro photographers use(d) transparency film had to with traditional methods of color ink printing for for magazines etc. Each image had to be seperated into four black and white halftone images, one for each color (CYMK) to be printed on four seperate presses. This was next to impossible to do with a negative and color prints lacked the contrast and detail needed.

Now here is where I'm going to start a fight.

Every thing you ever read or heard back in the day about why slide film is better than negative film is simply not true. Negitive film will record far more detail, color information etc. (ie DR) than slide film. The problem was/is the inability of color printing paper to reproduce it. But today we don't need color printing paper. We can digitally scan our negs into the computer.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:51 PM   #18

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
I have to add my two cents

1) The reason Pro photographers use(d) transparency film had to with traditional methods of color ink printing for for magazines etc. Each image had to be seperated into four black and white halftone images, one for each color (CYMK) to be printed on four seperate presses. This was next to impossible to do with a negative and color prints lacked the contrast and detail needed.

Now here is where I'm going to start a fight.

2) Every thing you ever read or heard back in the day about why slide film is better than negative film is simply not true. Negitive film will record far more detail, color information etc. (ie DR) than slide film. The problem was/is the inability of color printing paper to reproduce it. But today we don't need color printing paper. We can digitally scan our negs into the computer.
1) I thought likely.

2) So direct transparencywas better the than negative/paper? Same results.

Although shooting transparency film was good discipline for the photographer I'm quite happy to be shooting digital now.