Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2003, 1:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjock
Try a Lenspen:

http://www.lenspen.com/

I've been using them for years and have not scratched a lens.

~Laserjock~
There is something that I have wondered about those. It looks like a brush on one side, what is on the other side? I have heard of people using them for a long time. If you clean dirt, finger prints etc. off the lens several times, are you not smearing oil (from finger prints), dirt all over the lens the next time you use it? It's not like there is crap like that on my lenses all the time, but it can happen occationally (everybody accidentally gets a finger print once and a while). Doesn't it get dirty after a while?
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 9:31 PM   #12

One end of the Lenspen is a brush used to brush away any large particles from the lens before using the other end of the pen.

The business end from what I can tell is a rubber cup with a chamois type material impregnated with graphite. The cup is curved to fit the curvature of the lens. In the lid is a small chunk of what looks like graphite and is what "charges" the chamois before use. You simply twist the lid slightly before removing it. They are around US$10 and they make a couple of sizes.

The Lenspen works VERY well on smudges and fingerprints. I don't know what the life of the pen is and there are no cleaning instructions for it.

~Laserjock~
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 5:07 AM   #13

Now I understand how they work. You have some sort of a graphite looking dry cleaner that must soak up oil from finger prints etc. and wipes away contaminants adhered to the lens. You do not have to worry about the surface getting too dirty because you are recharging it with a new surface of the graphite looking stuff. Thanks for the info.
I should mention that with lens tissue etc. I am looking for something to occationally get the lens/filter nice and clean and clear. I have been know to use my shirt too. I wasn't sure if it was safe but I did it anyway.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:09 AM   #14

Also, its best to apply any lens cleaner to the paper/cloth rather than to the lens itself to prevent excess liquid seeping through the lens into the inside of the body. Same applies to cleaning monitors and TV screens,
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh
I have been know to use my shirt too. I wasn't sure if it was safe but I did it anyway.
DON"T DO DAT!! ;-)

The lens has an AR (anti-reflective) coating that can scratch easily. Only use an alcohol based cleaner and lens tissue. Besides many cloths have been through your washing machine along with softening agents which may leave a film on your lens, making the problem worse not better. This goes for Kleenex type tissues, they may have oils impregnated in them from the manufacturer.
Also the weave of many non-lens cleaning tissues are loose short fibers, causing the tissue to give off alot of free fibers contaminating your lens with tissue dust. Lens tissues have long tightly bound fibers.

~Laserjock~
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:19 PM   #16

I've been sold on Pec Pads/Eclipse from Photographic Solutions for about a year now. The pads are very thick tissues that are almost completely lint free. Once in a while I'll have to hit the lens with the blower bulb after a cleaning, but it's rare. Eclipse seems to work very well...and a bottle lasts darn near forever.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote