Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:43 PM   #1

It seems this cmera has lost a lot of ground since last lears model, Is it now considered a has been to the other ones in its catogery?

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:38 AM   #2

Lost ground in what respect? It doesn't offer the zoom range of some of the others in its class but on the other hand the lens isless "compromised" than the competition over the entire range of operation than the higher zoom ratio lenses. Does one want impressive numbers or good pictures?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
It seems this cmera has lost a lot of ground since last lears model, Is it now considered a has been to the other ones in its catogery?

I'm not sure how much the Cannon S5is has lost in terms of being a viable option, but the CANON S5is is still,very much, a high quality option.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 1:46 PM   #4

I was just under the impression it was not in contention anymore because I hear so very little about it. I am not real camera savy yet, so go easy on me please.

Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5

It still holds its own by using AA batteries. If it switched to lithium batteries, it'd get raped by better alternatives. Now if Canon switched to a larger sensor, then they'd have a real competitor.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:56 PM   #6

leaftye wrote:
Quote:
It still holds its own by using AA batteries. If it switched to lithium batteries, it'd get raped by better alternatives. Now if Canon switched to a larger sensor, then they'd have a real competitor.
If they switched to a larger sensor where would you want the compromises to be made? Bigger, heavier? Shorter reach on the telephoto?

Compare these factors on the Pany FZ8 and the FZ50 for one set of compromises. Again, if you can still find the specs, do the same comparison on the Kodak P712 and the P880. One doesn't modify the sensor size without creating a whole new camera with its own set of compromises.

Would you like to comment on the better alternatives? They're not the FZ18, H7/H9, UZ560/UZ570.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:48 PM   #7

I was basically really considering the Canon S5 but now something new cropped up that bothers me quite a bit to tell the truth. My understanding is they are now made in China instead of Japan!
I honestly don't want a Chinese made product as delicate as a camera. Does anone care to comment on this?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:02 PM   #8

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
I was basically really considering the Canon S5 but now something new cropped up that bothers me quite a bit to tell the truth. My understanding is they are now made in China instead of Japan!
I honestly don't want a Chinese made product as delicate as a camera. Does anone care to comment on this?
If you eliminate the P&S cameras made in China you won't have many to chose from. My Kodak Z612, which I've had a year+ and with which I am very satisfied, was made in China.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:18 PM   #9

I am glad that you are happy with your purchase of a Chinese made camera.
However, I would rather not purchase one made there.
Now, How do I find a Canon S5 made in Japan? As mentioned , I want to purchase , what I want.

Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:37 PM   #10

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
Now, How do I find a Canon S5 made in Japan? As mentioned , I want to purchase , what I want.
Does anyone have an S5 that they can verify as made in Japan?