Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:53 PM   #1

Default Sony U-20 or U-30

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Hey, i was looking at the reviews for botht he U-20 and the U-30 and from what I noticed they seem pretty much identical. The U-20 also seems to cost more from the prices listed at the bottom, even though its the earlier model?

I'm thinking of buying one of these cameras but I'm not quite sure which is the better deal...what is the actual difference between the two cameras? Which one is overall a better camera (regardless of price).

Also if anyone knows of any other less-than-$200 cameras, with more than 2 megapixels that would be even better for me I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to use the camera just for fun...taking pictures around my school of my friends, and perhaps some views when I go hiking or biking in the trails. .....I also noticed that the review says that the U-20 and U-30 are not good for close up portriat shots, and I think thats would I'd be doing if I was taking random pictures of my friends...so would they not be good cameras for me? Also it says taht they have no optical zoom...does that mean it can't zoom at all? or that it just zooms digitally?

thanks!

all help is very appreciated!
rohankonimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:24 PM   #2

The U10 is the most expensive, then the U20, then the U30. I think it is simply because the other cameras (while not as good) are discontinued.

The U30 supports MSpro and has a mirror on the front unlike the U20.

The U30 is obviously the best deal.
s_n_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:00 PM   #3

I can find nothing of practical nor technical significance that makes the U30 better than the U20. Price is the only thing to consider when choosing between these two models. If you can find a close-out deal on a new U20, in-the-box with warrantee, manual, charger, etc. for less $$ than the U30,then go for it. Else the cheaper U30 is the way to go.

Neither the U20 or U30 has any optical nor digital zoom capability for capturing the picture. The U30 allows you to look at the captured shot on the tiny 1" LCD at 2.5x or 5x "zoom" but you can't scroll the image around and all you see is the center part of the image enlarged, so IMHO, this is a totally useless feature--included only for the advert hype.

For me, the value of the Cyber -U cameras comes from there very small size and solid construction that lets me have it with me at all times. The photo capture quality (with normal to good lighting) is surprisingly high. With the U20/30 you can consistently get excellent 4x6 inch prints and for many many shots get very good 5x7's. Some shots will even yield great 8x10 prints.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:58 AM   #4

"Neither the U20 or U30 has any optical nor digital zoom capability for capturing the picture. The U30 allows you to look at the captured shot on the tiny 1" LCD at 2.5x or 5x "zoom" but you can't scroll the image around and all you see is the center part of the image enlarged, so IMHO, this is a totally useless feature--included only for the advert hype."

This is why everyone with a digital camera should own a PDA, or at least a small laptop.

I have a clie TG50 and I plan to use that to review pictures in detail since I can zoom up to I don't know how much. I can make each pixel the screen size (320x320).
s_n_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 6:25 PM   #5

I suggest a Sony DCS-U60. I recently bought one with the sole intention of using it on trips where I did not want to risk my "good" camera. I used it for 6 days on a trip to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. I was able to take it on rides I would never have taken my Nikon. The U60 is waterproof to 5ft. It was great on all of the water rides, I even let the kids play with it in the pool! It's small enough that you can place it in your pocket when not in use. It comes with 2 AAA NiMh's which lasted pretty much the whole day. I had a second backup set in my pocket. I bought a 64meg memory card which held over 120 fotos at full resolution. It has a strange form factor that works well for snap shots. The 1in screen on the back worked flawlessly in bright sunlight.

~Laserjock~
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:36 PM   #6

thanks guys! your feedback was really helpful

I'm guessing I'll go with the best deal then!
rohankonimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote