Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:59 PM   #1

Default Posting pictures...shooting homes

I was wondering what the general rule is on taking pictures of peoples' homes and posting them on these boards. Is it considered inappropriate to take pictures of occupied houses? Street photography (taking candids of strangers) seems encouraged...does the same apply to their homes?

I am not sure I would do it but I do rent an apartment in a beautiful small town with gorgeous homes in the surrounding area.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:57 PM   #2

Default Re: Posting pictures...shooting homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
I was wondering what the general rule is on taking pictures of peoples' homes and posting them on these boards. Is it considered inappropriate to take pictures of occupied houses? Street photography (taking candids of strangers) seems encouraged...does the same apply to their homes?

I am not sure I would do it but I do rent an apartment in a beautiful small town with gorgeous homes in the surrounding area.
I feel that as long as you don't get the address in there.... or street information than I don't see anything wrong with it. That way know one knows for sure where the house is for sure.

Of cource, thats in just in my honest opinion upon the matter.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:19 PM   #3

As a side (but related) note, I grew up in one of the 15 richest towns in the country (at the time... the tech boom has altered things abit. Actually, not that far from you, Joshua.) There are some amazingly beautiful houses there (both inside and out.) For a few years they did tours of houses in the town. I never went (at that age, I didn't care) but I wish I ha dnow.

It was stopped mostly because not many people want to have their house shown any more. Fear that people are doing the tour to scout houses to rob. Pity, but true.

So there is something to be said for what you ask. But in my experience, people are more worried about the inside being shown than the outside.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:22 AM   #4

In England you can photograph what you like as long as it's on public property, or if it's on private property visible from public property, as long as the point it's visible from is somewhere the owner would "reasonably" expect people to be able to see it from. Which basically means you can photograph houses as long as you're standing out on the street, but if you're climbing trees or phone polls to do it then you could get in trouble
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:31 AM   #5

I hadn't thought about it from that angle, but obviously it matters. It is my understanding that that is also the law in the US. For more info on such things, check out:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...article_id=609
And
http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote