Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2002, 2:42 PM   #1

Default What's The Difference??

We toss around words like "megapixel" but what, in the real world, does it mean?

Here's a visual from Steve's samples over the years of all Nikon images which shows a good comparison of just what you get when you "upgrade" to a higher resolution camera. It's not a detail comparison - just a visual of the size differences. Notice that the D100 uses a different aspect ratio than the default on the other cameras. Some of the other cameras "can" use the same aspect ratio as the D100 by changing menu choices, but I just thought it made an interesting comparison.

From the largest to smallest - D100, CP5700, CP4500, CP995, CP950 representing 6, 5, 4, 3.3 and 2.1 megapixel sensors respectively...

Lin

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:45 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2002, 2:59 PM   #2

With larger megapixels you are able to downsize pictures without loss of detail and you are able to make larger photo prints sizes without loss of detail.

With a 2 megapixel camera I could use Photoshop to increase the resolution to the point where I can fill a large 11x16 printout, but the detail loss in the photo when compared to a 5 megapixel camera will be easily noticeable.

At least that is what I have been thinking. If I am off base someone here will correct me.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 3:08 PM   #3

Yes, you are on the right track - I think when you said "downsize" you mean "resize" because the rest of your explanation indicates that you understand the process.

Actually, it was simply a visual to show the actual difference in native image size, but the advantages of having more pixels definitely allows the user greater latitude on enlarging. Sometimes users assume that when they double the number of pixels - such as going from 2 megapixels to 4 megapixels that the image size doubles - but as you can see it actually doesn't do that at all.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote