Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1

Have seen where you take 3 images and over lay them at different f-stops. what is this called ? I would liketo read up on thisand get the details on how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. oakey
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:22 PM   #2

It's called high dynamic range blending, or just HDR. Searching on those terms will bring you plenty of information. There are dedicated stand-alone programs like Photomatix Pro that do this fairly automatically and some image editors have an HDR function built-in. You can also do the blending manually in many editors -- look for a tutorial using your current editor. I don't think that the manual blending is considered true HDR, since that requires combining images into a 32-bit file and then applying tone mapping to make the result printable and viewable on monitors. The manual technique is usually referred to as exposure blending. I've done both with the same image files and the manual blends didn't look much different than the true HDR rendering -- but it takes a lot longer! One upside to manual exposure blending is that it's free -- provided that your current editor is versatile enough to allow it. Probably most editors that let you create and work with layers will let you do exposure blending.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:52 AM   #3

:GThank you for the info and your time. Now all i have to do is read up on it. I have seen some of Alain Briot work done in this style and looks good. Oakey
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote