Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:38 PM   #1

Hello,

I am very new to SLR (just started to learn).

I do a lot of reading trying to purchase some sd card for my Nikon 40d. Looking for 2g or 4g sh card.

The more I read the more I am getting confuse. Like should I get 2 SDHC - 2g cards or 1 4g card ? Should I get regular sd or hcsd or sanddisk exterme III and should I get a class 2 is good enough or should I get class 6 and some of them saying 150x...etc

Any recommand will be great.

Thanks !

Guppies
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Personally, I'd get a Class 6 SDHC card. Most of the better brands are going to have write speeds in excess of 10MB/Second, and card prices have dropped so much lately, that it doesn't cost much to get a larger and faster card, even if your camera won't take advantage of the speed the latest and greatest cards provide.

You can get an 8GB Class 6 Transcend SDHC card for around $30 now with a lifetime warranty. See this example for $29.99 plus shipping at newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208293

The Extreme III you mentioned is also a Class 6 Card (Class 6 doesn't mean it's limited to 6MB/Second -- that's just the minimum sustained write speed) and has a very good reputation. It's more expensive than some of it's competitors, though. Also, make sure you are buying any Sandisk cards from a reputable vendor (as many of the Sandisk cards you find on Ebay and elsewhere are counterfeit).

I would suggest having more than one card. Failures do happen, even with the best brands, and it's good to have a spare.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:31 PM   #3

First, the difference between SD and SDHC:
  • SD Cards are formatted with the FAT-16 system of file allocation tables. This is the way that you camera and your computer(s) keep track of where your files are located on the card. This is the same file system in use with PC-DOS Version 2.11. The problem with FAT-16 is that it used a 16 bit address to keep track of disk space, and therefore, can't handle volumes larger that slightly less than 4GB. [/*]
  • SDHC Cards use FAT-32 file allocation tables instead, so the camera can keep track of the greater capacity these cards have. The problem with SDHC Cards is that some older cameras (and older card readers) can't read the FAT-16 file allocation tables. (This would be like putting a 4GB hard disk into an IBMPC-XT.)
[/*]
[align=left]Since your Nikon D40 can use both DS and SDHC cards,the only real difference between an SD Card and an SDHC card, from your perspective,is the capacity.[/align]

[align=left]The difference between a Class 2 SD Card and a Class 6 SD Card is speed. This is primarily a concern for video cameras and P&S Digicams that can capture video, but can affect you if you want to do sequential shots (sometimes referred to as 'continuous mode' or 'burst mode'.) If the SD Card you're using is too slow and you are just holding down the shutter button to capture photos in rapid succession, then when the camera's buffer is full, the camera will stop taking photos until some of the shots it took are transferred to the SD Card. If you don't plan on doing that, then you don't need to worry about the speed of the card.[/align]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:37 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply. I read the manual that the Nikon d40 might limited to 4G max. Yes for sure I will get more than 1 card. Plus an extra battary too just in case. Since I am planning to take a trip soon. So better have it extra than sorry.

Yes, I do read a post here about Fake memory card. I will be careful.

How's the ridata are they o.k but have to check I don't think they have class 6 for 4g sd.

Your information is very helpful for me. I thank you very much.

Guppies
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:51 PM   #5

Thank you TimC and Tcav,

Today I learn 2 important lessons. Which will help me to select the Sd card for my camera. Now is much much more clear and easlier for me how to select.

Thank you all.

Guppies
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:04 PM   #6

Opps, one more thing. I purchase some 2g sd kingston for use on my digital photo flame. Firstit gives mesome error after I copy around 500+ pictures. Then I found out the card was formated fat16 to start with. I reformat it using my PC to Fat32 and after than no problem. (the Fat16 must be limited the spaces)

I install another new 2g card into the Nikon d40 and reformat the card using the nikon build in format function before I use... Humm I should check see the card is format under Fat32 or Fat16.

And I should test to format the card to Fat32 using my PC and use it on my Nikon and see what happen. I do read some post saying I should format the Sd using the Camera setup functionand also should use some software to copy to PC instead of using the cardslot for SD to copydirect to harddrive. Humm will there be any different ?

Guppies
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:06 PM   #7
Administrator

guppies wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I read the manual that the Nikon d40 might limited to 4G max.
That's only because the compatiblity list was last updated in 2006. The D40 works fine with 8GB Secure Digital Cards based on reports I've seen.

Quote:
How's the ridata are they o.k but have to check I don't think they have class 6 for 4g sd.
Personally, I avoid Ridata/Ritek cards. I also avoid Kingston, even more so than most other brands (although many people like them). Lately, I've been sticking with Sandisk, Lexar, or Transcend (but, only the Transcend cards with a lifetime warranty). But, I do have other brands that I have experienced no issues with (including Toshiba and PNY cards). At one time, I was even avoiding Sandisk with Secure Digital cards, sticking only with manufacturers using Panasonic or Toshiba components. But, Sandisk compatiility/reliabilty problems were apparently solved beginning with the Ultra II line, and I have no issues using their newer stuff.

Quote:
Opps, one more thing. I purchase some 2g sd kingston for use on my digital photo flame. Firstit gives mesome error after I copy around 500+ pictures. Then I found out the card was formated fat16 to start with. I reformat it using my PC to Fat32 and after than no problem. (the Fat16 must be limited the spaces)
You're lucky it worked at all after formatting it as FAT32. Most devices like that (I assume you meat frame versus flame) don't support FAT32 (although your D40 does). The problem to begin with is that the file alocation table on the card was likely corrupted and reformatting fixed it (by recreating the File Allocation Table). With card sizes up to 2GB, you're better off sticking with FAT16 (select FAT from the drop down list of file system types if you are using Windows to format one).

2GB cards are somewhat of an "oddball" size with Secure Digital, since many devices have issue with cards larger than 1GB SD. See this page for more info:

Compatibility issues with 2GB and larger Cards

Quote:
I install another new 2g card into the Nikon d40 and reformat the card using the nikon build in format function before I use... Humm I should check see the card is format under Fat32 or Fat16.
2GB and smaller cards will usually come preformatted as FAT16. That's the way you want to leave them for best performance, and yes, it's always a good idea to reformat the card using the camera's menu choice for format prior to using one.

Personally, I reformat a card with a camera's menu choice for format, prior to *every* reuse, no exceptions. That insures that I always start out with a fresh file allocation table, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:36 PM   #8

guppies wrote:
Quote:
...and also should use some software to copy to PC instead of using the cardslot for SD to copydirect to harddrive. ...
There is absolutely no reason not to use the Windows Explorer to copy files from a flash memory card reader tothe computer's hard disk drive.

And there's a good reason not to use the software that came with the camera. Frequently, those programs bury your files within there own folder structure that is not within your 'My Documents' folder. That means that backup programs won't automatically find your photos, and migrating your files from one computer to another is more complicated.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:29 PM   #9

Thank you both again for your reply again. I think I spend enough time for searching the best SD card for my camera. I think I better just go to Costco and purchase the Sandisk or Transend (if they carry) and spend more time on how to use the D40.

I have 2 extra micro 2g sd (kingston). I can use them on other P&S camera or use it as a backup or testing it on the D40

Humm, I should take the SD card out from my D40 and check on my PC see the D40 format the card is FAT16 or FAT32 (just for information and good to know too)

Guppies
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:41 PM   #10
Administrator

guppies wrote:
Quote:
I have 2 extra micro 2g sd (kingston). I can use them on other P&S camera or use it as a backup or testing it on the D40
If you've already got some micro sd cards, I'd see how they work in it using the adapter.

Quote:
Humm, I should take the SD card out from my D40 and check on my PC see the D40 format the card is FAT16 or FAT32 (just for information and good to know too)
It would probably just maintain the original card format (they come preformatted), or maintain however you formatted one last.

IOW, if they were formatted as FAT16 (which is the way they'd come for 2GB or smaller cards), the would probably reformat one that way to keep the same file system it's already formatted as. For cards larger than 2GB, FAT32 is needed.