Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:03 PM   #1

I didn't necessarily fall into their trap, but I have a question for those who have. With all these people who get ripped off by these people, why don't they all do charge backs on their credit cards? It's like some people lose a couple hundred bucks and think they cant do anything about it.

For those who order from ebay, they do the same thing there. The same bogus company in NY sells all sorts of cameras on Ebay as well. However, if your smart and use Paypal, and they send you the wrong camera, no camera, or a foreign camera, you are protected up to $2000 and should get all your money back since the auction was missrepresented. With the rep. these people have, winning a Paypal dispute should be a piece of cake.

How do you tell a foreign model over a US model? I personally emailed some of the buyers on ebay who bought cameras from Brooklyn, NY and they say the label on the bottom is the same as a genuine one. The only real difference between a fake one and a US one is the waranty? Trus or false? If anyone can help with this question it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ty
Tykimeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:59 PM   #2

Good luck!
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:44 PM   #3

Tykimeister wrote:
Quote:
... How do you tell a foreign model over a US model? ...
My guess: Serial number.

The problem is that nobody checks the serial number until you submit it for warranty work. Only then do you find out that your camera is ineligible for warranty work, and most camera shops won't repair a gray market camera even if you pay for the repair. Unless, of course, you bought it there. If they sell gray market cameras, they won't have a problem fixing gray market cameras.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:17 PM   #4

why will camera shops not repair cameras from other parts of the world? The reason i ask is because i currently live in vietnam. and although i almost exclusively buy from the USA (because they generally have the cheapest prices on good stuff) what if i buy something over here or if someone buys a new camera on thier travells? what motivates camera companies and shops to not service the product. i understand that they want to keep prices at a certain level in the domestic market and all the stuff about taxes. What is the real percentage of grey market cameras and wouldnt the camera companies just be happy that you are using their product.

as for the cheapest stuff being in the USA i can only compare that to asia, not central europe or anywhere else. and from what i can tell here is that you can expect to pay about twice as much for quality stuff in point of fact, i was in singapore last week and they wanted 1000-1200 for a sigma 10-20 lens
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:32 PM   #5

I don't think there is anything different between a grey market camera and a US model camera, other than the US one comes with a warranty from Canon. The grey market ones dont. I have messaged some of the people who bought a 40D on ebay from time2envy and they all say it's original and everything like their authentic 20D looks like.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:02 AM   #6

Tykimeister wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is anything different between a grey market camera and a US model camera, other than the US one comes with a warranty from Canon....
Not quite true. The US one comes with a warranty, not from Canon, butfrom Canon USA! Canon and Canon USA are different companies. One may be an wholly owned subsidiary of the other, but they are still separate companies.

Canon USA has exclusive rights to distribute Canon products within the US. A Canon product in the US that did not pass through Canon USA is not eligible for warranty repairs in the US. And, in the past, retailers have gotten in trouble with companies that have exclusive rights to distribute products when the retailer provides service for gray market products.

The difference in price between an authorized product and a gray market product is the US warranty. (Gray market products don't even come with a product registration card.) Adorama sells both authorized and gray market products. The difference is that only Adorama will do warranty work on the gray market products.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
why will camera shops not repair cameras from other parts of the world? The reason i ask is because i currently live in vietnam. and although i almost exclusively buy from the USA (because they generally have the cheapest prices on good stuff) what if i buy something over here or if someone buys a new camera on thier travells? what motivates camera companies and shops to not service the product. i understand that they want to keep prices at a certain level in the domestic market and all the stuff about taxes.

Because different countries have different costs (tariffs, taxes,etc.)associated with doing business in that country, some items sell for significantly less (or more) depending on the country. In order to protect the distributors profit margin in each region, the companies try to prevent the sale of goods intended for other regions...not honoring warranties/repairs is one way of doing this. Otherwise, anyone could purchase these cameras from the country which they were cheapest, either at retail, or sometimes even wholesale, and resell them elsewhere at a cheaper price than the normal channels could provide thus reducing profitability of the authorized distributors.. Gray market product is not illegal, and shows up in other industries, such as DVD's, cigarettes, and other electronic products.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:36 PM   #8

So basically, a gray market Canon 40D and a US Canon 40D are the same camera, same quality, and made at the same place (Japan), but the US ones come with a US warranty, which is what you need to get one fixed in the US? If this is the case, I'm not worried. I have a quality camera and if I'm careful (and lucky(not getting a dud camera)) I shouldn't have much to worry about since I take good care of my cameras. I bought a 5 year extended warranty for my Canon G5 when I bought it over 4 years ago and I never had to use it. (knock on wood) But if gray market 40D's are made of a lesser quality as the US models, I would be worried. Does anyone have an answere for this?

Thanks,

Ty
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:01 AM   #9

Gray market merchandise is no different than non gray market merchandise. The only difference is the region they were intended to be sold in.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:56 AM   #10

Warranties depend on the manufacturer, or used to. Some provide state-by-state (nation-by-nation) warranties, while others (most, I think, nowadays), provide International warranties valid everywhere on the planet (not sure about Mars).

SFAIK, there are no more gray-market Olympus cameras, in the sense that they all carry the same warranty--sure, there may be different camera packages for different markets, but those differ only, or almost only, in the manuals provided.* The warranty is the same. The Brooklyn "firms" you mention are well-known scam artists, and will use any lies to get a sale, e.g., saying that no batteries are included, the model is an "international" model without crucial parts, etc. Lies, one and all.

*There are some cases in which certain camera models are produced only for a certain market; for example, the original Oly C-755 was a Japanese-market special "memorial" edition of the C-750, featuring black body and a couple of other meaningless additions, but the most important thing about it was that the menus were in Japanese only. If you got a so-called "gray market" C-755, you'd be stuck with J menus only, but I doubt that anyone overseas had that happen, since there would be no profit motive involved in selling that specific C-755 outside of Japan (the C-755s actually sold overseas were modified to have English menus).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote