Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:43 PM   #1

Ok folks spring is around the corner and soon we will all be outdoors at festivals and fairs, boat shows and ball games, back yard BBQ'sand beaches etc. pointing our cameras at every thing we see. So I have a question about a different kind of photo gear.

You see I live in an area where summer temps often get above 100. This didn't used to bother me but I have found I've lost my tolerance with age. Furthermore I now have a lot more skin exposed to the suns torment on the top of my head.

Folks I need a hat. Your standard ball cap just doesn't do it for me. Not only do I find them uncomfortable, but the stiff bill gets in the way when I'm staking pictures.

So I ask you, my fellow photographers. What do you wear to protect your head from ol' Sol's deadly rays while shooting? Feel free to elaborate on why you like it, even where you got it.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:01 PM   #2

I'm just about finished with a 4 week treatment for pre-cancerous spots on my face, ears, and the top of my head - caused by too much sun exposure. I have worn a hat much more in the last few years, but the damage is already there. I would suggest a wide, soft brimmed hat with some ventilation. The soft brim should not impare camera use. If you shoot wildlife, a camo pattern would helpful.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:08 PM   #3

I like a hat with a brim that goes all the around and has mesh siding for air flow. Also carry those small travel packs of sun block for really bad days. You can see my shooting hat on me in my avatar.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:25 PM   #4

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
Folks I need a hat. Your standard ball cap just doesn't do it for me. Not only do I find them uncomfortable, but the stiff bill gets in the way when I'm staking pictures.
You mean people still wear them with the bill in front? Wow! You could, I suppose, turn it around when you are shooting - besides, it looks so cool. :-)

I don't have too much trouble with hats being a problem while taking pictures. My preference, when it's hot, is a cheap, straw cowboy hat - cool, keeps the flies away, and not a big loss if I lose it. For cooler weather, I use a felt, crusher type hat - warm, keeps the rain off, and not a big loss either.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:24 AM   #5

I like the same style of hatCalicajundescribed. I'd also strongly advise against a white hat: I take off my hat and use it as a place to set my camera so it gets dirty real quick.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:01 AM   #6

I ended up finding a hat at REI that's supposed to be a "paddle hat" - it has a reasonably wide soft, flexiblebrim all around and vented panels on the side of the crown. The hatband is soft, too, with an adjustable strap on the back so I can tighten ithigh high winds, or have it looser for comfort. It doesn't look like calicajun's, but it sounds very similar. It keeps the tops of my ears and neckfrom getting sunburnt, and the flexible brim can be adjusted for shooting. It also works great for driving since I'm short and many sunvisors aren't big enough forevening commutedriving for me. It is supposed to float, but I haven't tried that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:38 AM   #7

Thanks guys

Calicajun's hat looks good maybe a darker color. I really like the safari hats that UPS drivers wear but I have'n't been able to find one quite like them.

mtngal I checked out REI's web site they have a lot of hats there and a couple that look like what I want, but its hard to tell over the net what you getting.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:48 AM   #8

I live in a rain forest have lots of hats . I dont like my ears getting wet or water down my back . You can go to http://www.basspro.com punch in hats go to page 8 the maker is Red Head the style is Mesh Outback $20.00 has a neck strap to . this is a well made hat . This is my summer hat . :G Oakey
oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:48 AM   #9

I'm a big fan of Kakadu Traders. You can see their products at http://www.kakaduaustralia.com. Very reasonably priced and hats in all styles and materials. They also have Vests and bags that could be used for photography purposes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:05 PM   #10

I like the Ultimate Hats...

http://www.ultimatehat.com/cart/inde...=index&cPath=1

I use one with snaps on the brim. When I am shooting, I snap one side up and wear the hat with the snap at the front, that way the brim does not interfer with my camera when I take photos.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote