Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:18 PM   #21

Kex,

Hopefully this won't belabor the point too much but my dissertaion actually in part was on word recognition. The first and last letters of words in the English language and many other roman alphabetic languages convey the most meaning. Some of this is due to the redundancy in the language.

You could actually drop the inner letters and people would still be able to pick-up much of what you're trying to convey.

"Yu cld actlly drp th nnr lttrs ad pple wld stll b bl t pck-p mch f wht yr tryng t cnvy."

The "stll" is difficult to pick up as mis-spelled because the shape is so similar to the original.

Consonants convey more information than vowels and not surpisingly, the shape of the letters in the word help quite a bit. That partly explains why we have such a difficult time picking out spelling errors when the incorrect word looks very similar in shape to the target word.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 3:03 PM   #22

Hi

Try this one:

Make circles with your right foot (like a clock), and at the same time make a 6 in the air with your right hand.

See what happens with your foot…

PS: forgive my poor English.
xpress_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin
Kex,

Hopefully this won't belabor the point too much but my dissertaion actually in part was on word recognition. The first and last letters of words in the English language and many other roman alphabetic languages convey the most meaning. Some of this is due to the redundancy in the language.

You could actually drop the inner letters and people would still be able to pick-up much of what you're trying to convey.

"Yu cld actlly drp th nnr lttrs ad pple wld stll b bl t pck-p mch f wht yr tryng t cnvy."

The "stll" is difficult to pick up as mis-spelled because the shape is so similar to the original.

Consonants convey more information than vowels and not surpisingly, the shape of the letters in the word help quite a bit. That partly explains why we have such a difficult time picking out spelling errors when the incorrect word looks very similar in shape to the target word.
This is a known technique for making quick notes - I lrnd ths on a stdy tchnqs crse u lve out crtn ltrs to spd up yr note tking

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
Weird, but cool, yet I feel inspired.

What other secrets does our brain possess that we are actually using everyday, that we don't even know about?!

I mean, this can be related to any other concept.

Quite disturbing to an extent... Hmmmn...
how about the power of the subconcious mind. I have tried this twice and been quite amazed at the results.

Bit long winde example but bear with me.

Several yrs ago a tune popped into my head and I had no idea what the song was, who the artist(s) was/were or who the vocalist was.

I'd recemtly read about the power of the subconcious so decided to try it.

I instructed my subconcious to find the answers and the n stopped thinking about it.

I checked in every now and again and then forgot about it, later or next day, can't rememeber the answer just arrived - and I hadn't thought about it for ages - also it was a very obscure piece of music

Freaky eh

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:26 AM   #25
m_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin
Kex,
Consonants convey more information than vowels ...

I think this explains why ancient written languages (like ancient Egyptian or Hebrew) had signs (letters) only for consonants, and only much later people came to the idea that what is between the consonants can be registered in writing too. In Hebrew even today most of vowels are not expressed in writing and it makes no problem for native Hebrew speakers. The only "minor drawback" of this method is that you have to KNOW a word to be able to read it! And for those who STUDY Hebrew (like me, my mother tongue is Russian) it is sometimes a real problem!
m_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:30 PM   #26

Arabic has a half way to ignore vowels, there are additional (groups of) dots to express such, but for what I understand it is ok to leave them out.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:56 PM   #27

I have dyxlexia in every form known to man (probably evident to every one here who has read a few of my posts.)

Because of this, I was a fun test subject while in school. One of the test I still remember to this day was this one:

They had a slide projector riged up with a timer. This allowed them to show the slide for a fixed amount of time. And that time could be very short.

The slides were of words, all the same lenght (5 letter? Something like that.) And slowly they would be shown for less and less time. What I was supposed to do was write down the word that I saw.

What was weird was that a certain point in the test I could not remember the word, I could not say the word. But I could write the word. And after I wrote it I knew it was right.

I just found that to be really weird.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:24 PM   #28

k...

r u shure?

neways...g2g.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote