Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1

It's time for me to buy a new television. I'm leaning towards buying a plasma tv.The tv thatI'm currently using was built back in 1994. It uses the old school television tube. As a dedicated amateur street photographer, I'd be a fool if I didn't solicit the opinion of other shutterbugs out there.

Question, what features should a camera enthusiast look for when buying a new television? I'm not saying that there are features a shutterbug should look for when buying a tv. Maybe there are, maybe there aren't, I don't know for sure. I just thought I'd ask some of you out there who mix photographywith modern television in with your lifestyle.

(In case you're wondering, my computer is a 2006 edition Dell XPS 400 desktop.)

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:39 PM   #2

Hi
To get best from TV, resolution should be high. Today 1080p is standard so it is not a problem. Second, card reader. Some TV has got card reader on the front (Panasonic) so pic is transfered directly to TV. I thing it is the best way to transfer pic on the screen. Other way is to use PC which is connected to TV via VGA or any other connector. Using DVD which is connected via composite cable, and pics recorded on CD will not generate adequate resolution!
Plasma TV were better than LCD but todays LCD are better and better. Plasma 1080p is usually larger than 42 inchs.
Rgds
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:14 AM   #3

emes wrote:
Quote:
Hi
Some TV has got card reader on the front (Panasonic) so pic is transfered directly to TV. I thing it is the best way to transfer pic on the screen. Other way is to use PC which is connected to TV via VGA or any other connector. Using DVD which is connected via composite cable, and pics recorded on CD will not generate adequate resolution!
Plasma TV were better than LCD but todays LCD are better and better. Plasma 1080p is usually larger than 42 inchs.
Rgds
Hi emes,

I'm new to this subject, but it appears as if Panasonic is the only manufacturer who has a card reader on their TV. On the surface that seems like a reallynice feature for us shutterbugs, but believe it or not I just cannotget excited about it. Simply because most of us wind up deleting all of the images on our memory card within a veryshort time. Especially if you're an avid street photographer who likes to go out and shoot 3-4-5 times a week. If that's the case, then someone like that has to load the images up to their hard drive and then delete the images from the memory card. That is why I cannot get all that excited about the Panasonics SD card reader. Or am I looking atthe card reader functionfrom the wrong angle?
RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:11 AM   #4

emes wrote:
Quote:
... Using DVD which is connected via composite cable, and pics recorded on CD will not generate adequate resolution!...
I would guess that is due to the assumtions made about the signal being sent via the composite cable. Do any of the BlueRay players deal with that issue when playing DVDs or CDs with images?

As far as the 1080p resolution, that is far from universal. I have been casually looking at smaller (~26" - I Live in a very small house) TVs and don't see that resolution at that size in the adverts that fall out of the Sunday paper.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:51 PM   #5

Hi
You can buy extra sd card, say 2 Gbyte and put in cca 2000 or more pics downformated to cca 2Mpix. Real number depend of jpg compresion and proper size for particulary TV.
emes is offline   Reply With Quote