Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one?
Olympus C-750 6 85.71%
Sony DSC-V1 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 19, 2003, 9:38 AM   #1

Default Olyumpus C-750 Ultra Zoom or Sony DSC-V1????

the Olympus 750UZ has:
4.0MP, 10x Optical Zoom

The Sony DSC-V1 has:
5.0MP, 4x Optical Zoom

the problem is I've been waiting for the 750 for ever from best buy, who never seems to have it in stock for order for $599, and the Sony is in stock this week for $699 with $75 MIR, = $624...

They're both highly competitive cameras, will the Sony 5MP with 4x optical please my hunger for that 10x optical on the olympus???

Stressed and Impatient,
jason
ghstinshll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2003, 9:45 AM   #2

Jason

You can purchase the Oly750 at fotoconnections.com for $459 plus $17 shipping. They will try to plus sell you some items but they do not pressure you when they have you call to confirm the order. The difference will even allow you to purchase additional memory.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:53 AM   #3

Default gibsonpd

Have you used them before? Are they a reputable vendor? I do't quite have that much cash, but I have been debating saving a little more and spending cash for the camera, and then using my $210 worth of Best Buy gift cards for memory and stuff... ever bought anything from them?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:38 PM   #4

Go the Sony ... the 10X is useless unless you have a tripod. i have a 6x and at full telephoto it struggles to create a sharp image unless the subjest fills the ENTIRE frame .... the V1 is, IMHO, the best all round consumer digicam on the market.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:56 PM   #5

Yes I have ordered from them. I just ordered the C750 from them. I would not consider the 10X zoom as useless since that is the reason that I wanted the C750. I also own a tripod but there are ways to steady a camera with the ultrazoom lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:45 PM   #6

Default Ultra Zoom

I know the 10x zoom isn't worthless, as a co-worker can shoot from the stands at a concert and get good pics with his 10x 740, the 3MP version... I believe I'll stay with the 750, esp since the V1 is more expensive than the 750. I'm sure the 4x optical on the V1 makes it more worthwhileto own over a 3x model, but the 10 should be so much better...
Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:18 PM   #7

10x zoom is NOT worthless, and you don't need a tripod unless you're in low light...as long as you keep the shutter speed at 1/zoom (at full zoom select 1/400 shutter speed), you're fine for a handheld shot. Here's some examples of handheld shots I've taken with the C-700 (which has the same focal length as the 750) at full zoom:

Full wide angle
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328792
Full optical zoom
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328791
Full digital zoom
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328790

I'm tired of people who say it's worthless...if you're having trouble with long zooms *you* need more practice, and learn about the limitation I mentioned above.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 7:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
I'm tired of people who say it's worthless...if you're having trouble with long zooms *you* need more practice, and learn about the limitation I mentioned above.
"worthless" is the wrong word but it is difficult. My camera does not allow shutter speed adjustment so that rules out any intervention by myself.

Comparing shots from the panasonic Fz1 at full tele-photo and the oly range does see the advantages of stabalisation come to the fore.

GH ... remember .. with more megapixels on the sony you do have more effective 'zoom" than just a 4x ... i.e. you can crop.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:03 AM   #9

I have several zooms shots taken with an Oly-C-730 on my web site, both optical and digital (including one of former President Bush taken full out while he was in moving boat - in the New England Folder). Also, look at the hummingbird shot in the Colorado Folder - that was taken nearly full out at 30X digital zoom, handheld. Takes a little practice (I brace my arms and hold my breathe) but I've taken some really good photos.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100

Be a sport - if you take a look, leave an entry in the visitor's journal. THX!
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote