Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:10 PM   #1

Hello guys,

Just wondering what kind of software I need to be able to burn pics to a dvd so I can view them on my tv.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm learning.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:23 PM   #2

I've done it two ways. The first was a straight-up JPEG picture disk. This worked fine if I just wanted to look at a picture slide show on my standard definition CRT TV. To do this, you only have to burn your pix to a CD in JPEG format, stick the disk into your DVD player, and the player does the rest. Different DVD players will offer different features, so check the instructions for your machine to see is recommended for doing a JPEG picture disk. Among other things, the machine might want a certain upper limit on pixel dimensions and file size for optimum playback.

If you want to get more fancy, with different visual effects and transitions and music and/or narration, then you should do a DVD. When I did this, I just used Windows Movie Maker 2 (Movie Maker comes with Windows XP) to put together the slide show with narration. When it played back the way I wanted in Movie Maker, I imported it into my Roxio CD/DVD authoring program which has an option to make a DVD movie that plays back on standard DVD players and followed the instructions to have Roxio encode the slide show and burn the disk.

I think that this option is pretty standard on DVD burning applications, so, chances are that your DVD software will offer this.

Of course, if you really, really want to get fancy, there are lots of applications out there that specialize in creating digital video with pro-style features.

My needs are simple in this area, so I found the free route to be satisfactory. There's another program that Microsoft makes that is more specialized towards DVD slide shows than Movie Maker -- also free -- (I've heard that it does some things better than MM and some things not) but I can't remember the name!! It should be easy enough to find on a web search.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:37 PM   #3

I agree with Grant: start with the simple free stuff and move one from there if you need something more.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:54 AM   #4

Grant,

out of curiosity, has any of the DVD stuff gotten better in the last year? The reason I ask is - as of a year or so ago I tried a number of products. But they all ran into the same issue - a limitation on resolutionn for any of the movie formats. The bottom line was - when displaying still images on a tv (let's say 36") - resolution was terrible. Made me cringe to see the poor quality of my images. Tried Proshow Gold, Adobe and Windows. Just really looked bad, IMO compared to say a slideshow that was still using regular jpeg images not images converted to the lower resolution video format.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:14 PM   #5

JohnG asks: ... out of curiosity, has any of the DVD stuff gotten better in the last year?

:?

Boy....are you asking the wrong person! I only found out enough to let me do a few simple slide shows that play back well on my twenty-inch, eight year old CRT TV! I plan to send copies off to a few old buds -- one of which might have a large, fairly modern TV. I have no idea how the shows will look on such a set, but I'm not going to worry about it.

The stuff that I read put the maximum DVD resolution at 720x480 -- more than good enough for my set. Whether the DVD players with up-conversion capabilities would make that look better on something like a 1080p set.....? Or whether there are high-def DVD burners/software to make gen-u-ine high-rez disks.....? Methinks if there are such, they would be Warren Buffet expensive.

Hopefully, someone who's better informed will read this, roll his eyes and tender a better answer.

Grant

Edit: I think the links to the emoticons are out of wack. Many times the one I choose gets switched to a different one when the message posts. Unless it's a Firefox thing...
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:00 PM   #6

rachunter wrote:
Quote:
Hello guys,

Just wondering what kind of software I need to be able to burn pics to a dvd so I can view them on my tv.
first, make sure your DVD player(for the TV) playes DVD-R/+R; many DVD players DO NOT! burn your pics as a test to DVD-RW first.

anyway, I prefer to use Nero these days, but used Roxio before.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote