Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Yes i just was to use my Canon 710 IS camera. turned it on to zoom in to my coral in my fish tank.. But when i ZOOMED in it wasn't working great.. looked at it more and noticed that it was sticky substance on it..

Thought it was the batteries leaking (NO IT WASN"T Thank gosh) then i figured it out i had apple juice in my bag that (the bottle was empty) a drop might of gotten in to the zoom and CLCIKER (if that what the button is called when you take the picture)and now it moves like molasses..

Is there a way that i can clean it out.. as it still moves but Very very very veryyyyyy sloooooowly...

Not happy with this right now.. called a few places and they like min $200 to get it looked at... I'm like i can buy a new camera for the price..

Can anyone please help me out.. i feel like this right now
imfsub12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:33 PM   #2

its unreal how many times this happens

anything other than water is a problem..........when water gets in just let it dry, it should be ok.

juice as sugar in it and thats not so good !!!

u may be able to electrical spray contact cleaner in and disolve sugar.....but id leave cam upside down so it runs out of the button and not further inside, that is unless u can get the case off.

prices are ridiculous for camera repair.

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:35 PM   #3

I think this happend some time during the week so its now just sticky.. no more liqued so i can't see it going anywhere else...

there isn't any stickyness other than under the zoom button..

is the camara diffucult to take apart to clean it myself???

Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:46 PM   #4

the spray cleaner is liquid......itll need to go somewhere :-) if u spray it in the gap aroud the button

id guess its gunged up a micro switch, they are tiny and it wouldnt take much to stop them working

we use electrical spray cleaner at work, itll shift most things and leaves no residue

no idea how hard it is to take case of........had to put a new lcd in wife phone and that was a nightmare...........but £20 is cheaper than £200 for new phone....!!

GAry
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:09 PM   #5

LOL - i read it wrong.. i though you said to put the camera upside down now to get the juice out..

didnt' read the stuff i spray on to it will drip in the camera...

lol

Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:56 PM   #6

Regular old WD-40 will work great on it.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:05 AM   #7

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
Regular old WD-40 will work great on it.
Ya sure i will go buy a bottle of that stuff right away..

Not
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:26 AM   #8

warning !!!

do not use wd40 it will leave oil residue in your camera and could make things worse.

spray it on glass and see the oil it leaves behind !! electrical contact cleaner leaves no residue behind at all.........thats what its made for

Gary
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:00 PM   #9

well i fixed. it

took the plung and opend the camera up.. not that hard.. just took off all the screws then used my finger nail to run it on the seam to pop the case open.. once that was done .. there was 2 mroe screws for the zoom button. took them off as it was attached to this spring mech.. took that off and found the little crap that was binding the zooming button.. use some water with ctips and some ispropyl alcohol to clean up up..

oh and made sure that all the water and stuff was dry... use c-tips for that to..

It works like new... put it back together and vola saved $80-200 bucks..

Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:09 PM   #10

Good job, imfsub! Do us a favor...post back here again in about a month and let us know if it's still working. I hate to recommend a fix to someone with the same issue, only to find out that it is a temporary fix.

Thanks.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote